The joys of haying (story)
If you live on a farm or country road you have probably hayed. Its just part of farm life.
When I lived on the dirt road, with the whopping five houses - all of which were people who farmed, haying was the summer community activity.
Who ever had their hay ready to cut before the reat would invite us all to help with huge meals all day long. When that farm was done we moved to the next. Stories of broken axels or flat tires made the season more challenging but were great stories for around a campfire later.
My dad being a master mechanic spent a good deal of his time fixing tractors and other farm equipment. Everything always broke on hay week.
Being one of the smaller helpers I was usually put on the hay elevator to load or direct bales.If they were desperate, they put me on the tractor to drive!
It was hard work but it built communty and the stories still circulate generations later.
What haying stories do you have?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter