Any candle makers?

annbeck62
annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

I saw an article in a magazine about making your own wax melts. And next thing you know I've got a new hobby. I'm using soy wax and essential oils and following the directions in the article. Up close they smell great but they are not scenting the space at all. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong?

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry I have no advice. My husband and I thought we would try our hands at candle making but it was not successful haha. I hope you get it figured out and have great success!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

There is a member of my community who does soy candles. She doesn't use EOs but uses fragrance oils. They are created in a lab from EOs and other aromatic compounds. Her candles have quite a strong scent when burning.

This is a link to a company (Canadian) that sells fragrance oils for use in candle making.

• annbeck62

@torey thanks for the link and the explanation of what fragrance oils are. I was never sure if they were all natural or not.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

This article talks about that. If you follow the links there is other good info, like what fragrances with what type of oils, etc. I want to start making candles, but I want to learn the old fashion homesteaders way. If you figure it out with the fragrance, let us know because I'll need to figure that out also.

https://support.candlescience.com/hc/en-us/articles/201352274-How-do-I-get-the-fragrance-to-smell-stronger-

• annbeck62

@Brindy that article was really helpful. Even though I was following the directions in the article, I was not following any of the tips in the list. And I was using way less than 10%. I'll have to order some fragrance oils but will let you know once I have success. Other than the scent issue it was an easy and fun project :)

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@torey I second the motion! I've made dipped candles for use and demonstration at living history events in the past with whatever was available that might work, but I am certainly no expert. Candle-making is a fun and useful hobby, and if there was a class that pulled it all together--materials, methods, add-ins and such--I'd certainly take it and likely recruit some friends to join me!

• annbeck62

@torey great idea!

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

I have made beeswax candles in the past. Poured, rolled and dipped. Have not messed with all the colors and fragrances.

But I would by no way call myself and expert.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I make candles but its more for fun and I have not added fragrance. It guess that should be my next step.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@torey I second your idea. I would love to follow a tutorial on candle making. I play with paraffin and colours. I am not a fan of soy wax, but, since I have bees, I want to start with candle making out of beeswax. I do not bother about fragrances, unless they are really natural and not too intensive.

@annbeck62 what a good topic you chose for a dicussion!

• annbeck62

@monica197 that makes sense and may explain why mine had a scent up close but it did not carry into the space. Fragrance oil may be a better option for me given the cost of essential oils.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 I've talked with candlemakers at craft shows around my area over the years. Because I'm wanting to add a line of citronella candles to my business.

What I learned is what @torey and @monica197 have said about EOs and fragrance oils. It would cost an exorbitant amount of money to get the fragrance strong enough with EOs. So quality fragrance oils are used for the most part, sometimes with a little EOs, all depending on the candlemaker and their preference.

Another thing I learned is that the different waxes hold/absorb the fragrance of the oils you use differently. Almost all of the candlemakers I've talked to while doing research, use soy wax exclusively. But I found out that the fumes coming off those candles and possibly the wicks, when used indoors can be quite unhealthy. And if you're using candles inside you should use beeswax. I learned much about this from the Toxic Mold Summit I watched a couple of years ago.

I'd prefer to use beeswax, but my candles will be outside, so I'll have to see which will work better soy or beeswax.

@torey I'd love to see them add a candle making class with all that you described above. That would be wonderful!😊

• annbeck62

@JennyT I had no idea soy wax was bad for indoor use. That is good to know.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did paraffin wax candles a lot as a teenager and into my early 20's. It was a lot of fun. Did use colors a lot, but mainly crayons for colors. Never tried fragrances, but did do a lot of different add ins. Using ice and whipping the wax up for a root beer float candle. Made candles using burned out light bulbs as the molds. Etc.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@torey, I think that would be a great topic. Especially if we could have part of it touch on using stuff you would use on the homestead, such as tallow and beeswax. Even a short part on rendering the tallow, maybe. Also, other types of candles too.

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

I decorated my candles with dried pressed flowers one year. It was a pretty look.

Maybe we need to have a natural crafting seminar. For use to use and items we could possibly sell to make income from home.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to make sand candles when I was young and they are so fun for kids.

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

@Lisa K I forgot about those. They were fun and so easy

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey thanks for the link to the Voyageur website, it looks like a great resource for all kinds of things!

Also it now explains what they were using in an old episode of Home Town where they made candles with rosemary & orange scent which were in larger bottles than essential oils. They also added freshly cut rosemary to the candles before pouring in the wax which I thought was a neat idea.

• rbusby01
    rbusby01 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I love making candles. It's been a while though. I did mainly beeswax- they burn long and I love the natural fragrance! I put them in various cups and containers. Maybe I'll whip up another set soon! Thanks for the inspiration:)

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

If you add a drop of essential oil to the top of the candle (not the wick, the wax) while it's burning, you will be able to smell it quite well. I've done this with cardamom, rose and lavender and the scent has lasted until the candle is blown out. Citrus is not likely to work that well but I haven't tried it. I just noticed that citrus tends to need a lot of drops in a diffuser.

• annbeck62

@Sharie thanks for the tip! I will try that.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@Sharie That is a really good idea! That way the candle can be whatever scent you want without having to use another candle.

I also think a course on candle making would be cool!