Show me your gardens for 2021!

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,500 admin
edited June 2021 in Vegetables

It doesn't matter what the stage or the state it's in (remember my disaster garden last year?). Show off whatever you have and make no apologies. I will begin.

Our frosts should now be over & we are into a heat wave that promises to come with some thunderstorms today/tonight/tomorrow. Hopefully that does mean rain, soaking rain and no washouts nor hail. Considering moisture & heat combined, we are planting the rest of our seeds. We still don't have carrot seed. I don't even know if we will have space now.

Potatoes, beans, peas, corn, cucumbers, watermelon, squashes, rooted parsley, various herbs (dill, basil, thyme, comfrey, oregano, and a couple others), pink mallow, nasturtium & scarlet flax...this is what made it in.

Wild saskatoons, chokecherries and our Romeo (I think that's the type) cherries are the green surrounding. We found a currant in the green a few years back as well. I think the birds usually get those. Poplar is also interspersed in there.

The pool is just to the front, and when it is to be emptied, it will go onto the garden.

The lump in the shade is a luing heifer. She gets pretty hot in her shaggy coat. The cows are kept out with electric fence.

Take a look at the cool old tilling tool we found somewhere (garage sale?). Its on the bottom right. It makes weeding easier.

The tree to the right side looks like it might get occupied by a pair of vireos who just showed up a couple of days ago. 🤗

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning mine isn't even started yet. I wanted to do a raised bed garden but it will not be possible. The soil is good but needs some amending. I thought some compost and if I could which I cannot I would use Nature's Best from Lane Forest here. That soil has 5 fertilizers and is tremendous. Another year perhaps. Good for you getting going. Thanks for the pictures. I will try to take before pictures this year.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
    edited June 2021

@LaurieLovesLearning we are going into winter here now, 22nd June winter solstice. Once 3.30 pm arrives our place goes into shade and it starts to cool off quickly, due to lots of tall eucalyptus trees and a mountain to our north west. Compared to your winter, we’re a walk in the park.

At the moment I’m harvesting, lettuce, sorrel, parsley, coriander,leeks, green onions, chives, pack Choi, celery, lemongrass, mustard greens, broccoletti and sweet potato. Just planted with either seed, tubers or seedlings, (heirloom where I can) potatoes, golden and French shallots, carrots, onions, peas, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, celeriac, garlic, lettuce, dill and a newly planted out dragonfruit. Also just about to dig up turmeric and ginger. In our orchard we are picking, lemons, limes, ruby red grapefruit and navel oranges.

The passion fruit have been awesome this year, still some on the bush, big juicy and oh so sweet. Not many make it back to the house, I have a graze when I’m in my patch! Above is my newly planted dragonfruit I was given from a cutting, never grown one before, so this will be interesting. Used an old metal ladder as a support. Laurie, I should have called myself jodiesidewaysupsidedowndownunder! No matter what I do, the photos I post are never as they should be! Anyway, gives the neck muscles a work out😂

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,621 admin

This is my lovage plant. The fence post behind it is about 5 feet. Needs to be harvested.

Haskap bush. One of 4. It has produced enough berries to make a batch of muffins. They are in the oven. First time it has ever produced more than a few to graze in the garden. Some pretty sad parsley next to it. And a portulaca just in front.

Strawberry mint in front and walking onions behind. Needs weeding.

Replacements for the thyme and sage that died out last winter. French tarragon in the bottom left and chives at the top. Its difficult to tell but the plant right in front of the chives is a red-veined sorrel that volunteered in that spot.

Lemon balm.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

My garden is scattered all over in pots and raised beds. I don’t have any super current photos as we have just transitioned to HOT weather plants. I am shocked my greens beans are even still alive and that my tomatoes have suffered the most. I have e my fingers crossed for my melons, squash, and pumpkins.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I am doing mostly a container garden this year. The first pic is a Butternut Rogosa Violina Gioia Squash and the second is a yellow longneck fig.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping once I retire (this Friday is my last day) I can spend more attention to my garden which has been destroyed by creatures.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,500 admin

@Lisa K How exciting for you! I'm sure you will be busier than ever.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @LaurieLovesLearning! Yes my To-Do List is growing and I cannot wait to be able to dig in!