Harvest Medicinal Trees in Your Backyard

Torey
Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Juliet Blankespoor from the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine wrote this article for the Mother Earth News but has re-published it as a blog article for the school.

There is a link to sustainable foraging guidelines at the end of the article.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey. I have quite a few willows along our ditch.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Keep trying to get hawthorn to grow in my yard. One of my favorite plants. I would also like to grow blue elderberries. Our big old willow became a danger tree and was falling apart. Usually I have gone down to the river to harvest willow.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Magnolia has been used medicinally for thousands of years. They seem to be having a good year.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Growing two types of elderberry in our yard now. So far they seem to be doing good.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

This article is so fascinating to me right now. Thank you for sharing @torey!

There are so many trees, bushes and shrubs at our new house that are all foreign to me. With the property being a little further north, in a different growing zone even, there are things that can be grown there, that at our old house we couldn't have necessarily grown.

I can't wait to get finished on cleaning, renovations and unpacking so I can spend time exploring our new property and finding out what kinds of trees and things we have that I'll be able to harvest medicine from.😁

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I have tried to grow black walnut from seed, but a squirrel always finds them and there has not been a single survivor.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Well.... I'm not quite ready for the official announcement, but I should be ready to release my new book on medicinal trees by July 1! I'm finishing up the last few pages tomorrow, then edits, proof reading, table of contents. etc. This one had taken a ton of work, way more than I expected and is coming in at around 250 pages. It is meticulously and comprehensively researched. I think it will be a good one!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Congrats, Judson! I know what a tremendous amount of work it is to get from the writing stage to the final published work. Can't wait!!!