Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

One of My Least Favorite — The Grow Network Community
We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.

- Coco

One of My Least Favorite

This year I have seen an inordinate amount of roaches out near the chicken coop and also around the yard and even on the house. Ugh! I have even seen one or two in the basement. Again, UGH!

Does anyone have any good ideas about a remedy for this problem. I'm racking my gray matter to no avail.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirlRustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't help you on that one. Hoping you find some sort of solution.

• TaveTave Moderator In the AndesPosts: 673 admin

@naomi.kohlmeier, I used to work in an apartment complex where roaches can get bad. We would dust boric acid where the cockroaches liked to hide out, behind the stove and refrigerator, or anywhere there is a little warmth, like electrical outlets. I would take off the electrical outlet plate and dust a little behind, and put the plate back on.

Roaches are actually clean freaks and don't like walking on piles of dust, so the boric acid would need to be barely noticeable and somewhere dry. They get it on their feet, then ingest it when they clean themselves. I hope that helps.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,080 admin

@naomi.kohlmeier I have heard that they also like to congregate in the control panel of stoves. You should be able to flip open a portion of that and be able to check for signs there. I would think that's where boric acid should be sprinkled too.

I have never had those here. I hope to never have to either. 😬

Good luck.

• karenjanickikarenjanicki Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

What about using diatamaceous earth in the areas you see them? It's suppose to kill bugs yet be safe for other animals.

• frogvalleyfrogvalley Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

My husband never let a corrugated cardboard box into our house because it might have roaches in it. I scoffed at him until one day when he wasn't home and I brought in a box and let it tarry too long. Within a short amount of time of noticing a little roach hitchhiker, he tried to flee in an effort to find permanent housing. He was quickly dispatched - sent to live with the angels. Only one box has stayed in our house or sheds since and it too provided temporary shelter for a hitchhiker that met the same fate as the first one. NEVER KEEP CARDBOARD BOXES ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH FOOD.

I come from the land of the giant roach they call "palmetto bug." They are still roaches no matter what kind of cutesy name you give them. Hold strong and be victorious. Don't feed them or given them sanctuary for sake of all that is holy.

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier You are probably seeing moisture loving roaches, versus the household kind that hitchhike in cardboard boxes from the grocery store.

Every time one of those gets into my house --if the cats don't get it -- it dies from dehydration in my desert environment.

I have lizards, roadrunners and scorpions to feed on any cockroaches here.

Above powder suggestions would probably work, but note that boric acid is toxic to various animals as well. Diatamaceous earth is probably your best bet, just keep from breathing the stuff, and place it away from your various animals and birds.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9

@naomi.kohlmeier

Do you drink distilled water?

Sometime back I read that the typical blood work/chemistry was not a good way to check magnesium levels. Have a look at this link and if nothing else you may glean generic info that might help you get to the heart of the problem.

https://www.mymagnesiumdeficiency.info/how-to-test-for-magnesium-deficiency/#:~:text=The%20ionized%20test%20is%20the%20most%20accurate%20of,more%20specific%20reading%20of%20our%20overall%20magnesium%20levels.

Have you ever tried 'Earthing'?

Let us know as you go forward in your search..you never know, sometimes the answer will come suddenly after days or weeks looking.

• water2worldwater2world Sherry Jochen Sevierville, TNPosts: 372 ✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier I second the recommendation for the boric acid!! Just don't add sugar to it!

• bcabrobinbcabrobin Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

We use 40 mule team laundry soap powder for fleas. Dust it on your carpets, beds, floors etc. Leave it on for as long as possible I'm told 48 hrs works great, but we have never done it that long, repeat in 2 weeks with the next batch of fleas. should break the cycle, if not repeat. Don't hurt cats/dog but try to not have the walk on it to much as it will dry out their skin. Just vacuum up when done.

Just table salt will also dry the shells out.