Fir spruce tips cake. I made one!
Fir spruce tips cake. I made one! It tastes wonderful of conifer forest on a warm day!
I found this recipe and wanted to try it out.
This is the original recipe:
-1 cup of yogurt (here 0.5l)
-1 cup of flour
-1 cup of sugar
-1.5 cups of chopped young spruce or fir shoots
-1 packet of baking powder
-If you like the grated zest of 2 lemons
It's all about the ratio of the ingredients to each other, so you can really use any container (glass, bowl). All ingredients are mixed together until a homogeneous mass is formed. The cake is baked in a preheated oven at 180 C degrees fan for about 30 minutes.
This is a test so I took a really small container - 100ml
-1 cup of yogurt (home made)
-1 cup of walnut flower
-1 cup of cut dried dates and date paste
-1.5 cups of chopped young spruce and fir shoots
-2 tea spoons of olive oil
-1/3 packet of baking powder
I mixed all the ingredients except the spruces, then added the spruces without chopping and blended all the ingredients.
I preheated the oven to 180 C fan and baked for 15 minutes, then checked. It was already brownish, thus I switched off the fan and reduced temperature to 150C.
If you do the whole portion, you might need 180C for 30 minutes, but I would not use fan.
When collecting, please ensure that you only take a few treetops per tree and, preferably from lower branches. And be careful not to collect yew spruces. They are poisonous!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 515 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter