Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Alt Meat — The Grow Network Community
We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.

- Coco

Alt Meat

RustBeltCowgirlRustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Washington Post article on Alt Meat pricing. Was reading this in the Santa Fe New Mexican and thought to post it here for comment.

Comments

• Megan VenturellaMegan Venturella Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

There has definitely been a push for a few years to frame meat as “dirty” and plant-based as “clean”. I think this category will grow massively in the years to come, but it makes me sad. Instead of pushing for ultra processed vegan options, we need to pay attention to how our food is grown/raised and eat real food to be healthy. I know that for years I was easily manipulated by marketing and health trends, and it was a huge relief when I finally made the connection that, among other things, health comes when you grow your food and cook it yourself, not from artificially manipulating it to look and taste like something it isn’t. Yuck!

I’m not arguing for any particular diet, just saying we should let our meat be meat and our vegetables be vegetables!

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years and the reason is because I do not like the taste of meat. So besides the new meat being mostly chemicals, it also tastes like meat!

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭

@torey I agree with you 100%. I refuse to buy this fake meat because of what it's made of (GMO), the chemicals, and just the fact that some of it is lab grown. Just doesn't seem right. Also, like you said they're pushing it way to hard on commercials. Funny how mostly I watch cooking shows but they advertise this fake meat during those shows. A couple days ago I saw a commercial for fake chicken strips.

We are mostly plant based but we do eat some meat mostly because my husband can't live without it. But we would do without it if fake meat is all there was to buy. Hopefully, we don't make it that far!!

• Monek MarieMonek Marie Moderator Posts: 2,225 admin

Food should be real, whether its plant or meat.

I plan to cut back on meat portions but still have it. And raise real veggies and fruit too.

• vickeymvickeym Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the meat companies as the article states had issues because of "Supply-chain problems and virus outbreaks in meat-processing plants".

Somehow I have not heard of these issues affecting the companies using these fake chemical laden meats. And just when they are pushing so hard for all the fake meat (such as the interview with Bill Gates who is growing some type of fake meat in a lab and says consumers will "get used to it") and vegetarian options the meat processing plants suddenly had widespread outbreaks and the whole plant was shut down (often in plants that actually had no illnesses.

If I can find the video of him saying this I will ask for permission to post it.

• JodieDownUnderJodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 897 admin

@RustBeltCowgirl this is taking science to another level and I don’t believe it’s good. Like many have said here, food needs to be real. Grown and raised as organic, local, moral and grateful as it can be, wether it’s meat, fruit, vegetables, herbs or grain. Not in a Petrie dish or a lab.

• annbeck62annbeck62 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

I agree food should be real. The ultra processed stuff whether it's plant or animal based leads to disease down the road but most people don't connect the dots.

• RustBeltCowgirlRustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder I agree with you. I've been reading about so much of this stuff lately that my mind keeps bringing up the movie "Soylent Green".

• karenjanickikarenjanicki Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

I refuse to eat that creepy fake lab grown meat. I'd sooner go vegetarian.