Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

My Indoor Banana Tree — The Grow Network Community
We may have our differences, but nothing’s more important than family.

- Coco

My Indoor Banana Tree

LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning ModeratorManitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,080 admin

I have been enjoying watching my Dwarf Cavendish banana tree grow...and it has grown tremendously since I bought it. I'd highly recommend this plant to anyone who wants to try tropicals.

I have found it more rewarding to care for than a coffee tree and other tropical edibles that I've owned (although avocado, mango & pineapple aren't too bad). Part of the appeal is that it grows quickly. I find it fascinating how it will naturally drip water droplets on a regular basis from the ends of its leaves.

But, I have a question that I want to ask others about...if any of you even know. The plant has little suckers (that's what I would call them on any other tree) at the base. Are these actually suckers & some thing that needs to be trimmed off and thrown out or could they be taken off & rooted or should they just be left? Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,080 admin

It appears as though I have found my answer. I am supposed to let these little ones grow for a time to grow roots, then cut them off with a sharp knife and put into suitable potting soil in another pot.

One thing that I found helped my plant grow quickly even in winter was putting it in an room where an infrared heater was close by. It worked wonders.

• JodieDownUnderJodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 897 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning I have a few bananas growing outside and they have more than one leader. When the main one flowers and then fruits, your suppose to cut the main leader (the one that fruited) because it won’t ever flower again. This then gives the opportunity for another leader to be the productive one. Or in your case, produce you another plant.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,080 admin

@JodieDownUnder So are these growing from the base then or branching off the main trunk higher up?

• marjstrattonmarjstratton Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Wow, you are adventurous to even try to grow bananas in Canada! Sounds like fun, but I'm not sure about the tree dripping all over everything.

• JodieDownUnderJodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 897 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning yep growing from the main plant, in order to produce.