Todays wildcrafting harvest: a whole lot of Mimosa!

I spent about an hour this afternoon "volunteering to help prune some trees" at a 300 year old cemetery in central NC... it was 90 degrees, but I enjoyed it. There were even some ripe blackberries growing nearby. Mimosa flowers, leaves, stems and bark are very useful herbally - they reduce mast cells, which helps with allergies, and they slightly narcotic, reducing pain and relaxing muscles, and antispasmodic. I'll post a notice once I have them processed, dried and ready to sell in my ebay store. Mimosa is one of my favorite remedies, because the tincture has a sweet taste and smell, almost like watermelon... it actually makes a very enjoyable spritz or cocktail! I've read that the root bark can be processed into DMT, but I haven't messed with it.

Tagged:

Comments

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@judsoncarroll4 very interesting. I have never ever done anything with mimosas. They do not grow here, but I can harvest some in Canary Islands. I have to read more about how to use them.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow really interesting @judsoncarroll4, I never knew that about mimosa and mine is large and needs some pruning! I will have to look into its uses and processing!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Mimosas definitely won't grow this far north.

Finding something that is going to be removed anyway is a great way to forage without having to worry about taking too much.

You make the tincture sound quite delicious as opposed to some of the really awful tasting herbal tinctures.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Here i what Plants for A Future says about it. I got the info on allergies from Michael Moore.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool site, thanks @judsoncarroll4

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you tell me! I had one for almost 30 years at my last house and had no idea it could help my allergies. I managed to keep the cicadas (yearly in this part of the world) from killing it.

Mimosas are beautiful but messy trees. Maybe if a spot opens up at this house...

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Thanks----again, something I had no idea about! The only thing I remember about Mimosa trees is the mess! Now to look for one!

• judsoncarroll4

If only I had filmed the last 4 hours or so of processing the mimosa and put it in time lapse. Lets just say that growing up shelling beans made me ideally suited to such work! I now have 2 bushels of leaves, tender stems and flowers drying.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

We climbed a huge old Mimosa when I was a kid! It branched out in 2 directions, and could be a pirate ship or a Conestoga wagon!

Didn't know it was medicinal. But I sure loved the flowers. So exotic!

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Outstanding news! Having just transplanted to northern AL, mimosa's are everywhere!! Weekend project coming up!! Can't wait to try the blooms in a tea!!

Thank you.

• judsoncarroll4

I forgot to mention that dried mimosa blossoms are the very best flavoring for water kefir and kombucha - they are very sweet!

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I just collected a quart of the blossoms and I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with it! I guess I should have collected leaves too. After reading this, I’ll make a tincture. Thanks!