Question about young pullets

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I have some pullets that are almost 8 weeks, the age that they can go in with the big chickens, and I was wondering that when they are with them is it okay for the little guys to eat the layer pellets (that I ferment for the morning and then they get dry in the evening)?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL Its pretty hard for them not to get layer pellets when they are mixed like that. It will not hurt them but if you can slip them some of the food they are used to on ther side they would like that and benefit from it too

Its hard when they get to that age when you can mix the young birds with the older ones

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

There can be a concern with cockerels getting too much calcium. Too much calcium can kill a rooster. That said, all of our birds get layer once they are mature. If we have a separate rooster pen, they get other feed.

Also, at 8 wks, they should be getting grower. This would help them develop in a better way. Since the feed is pellets, and not feed that you can see actual grains, it may be harder for them to get just what they need. Often calcium is dusted on to layer feed as well from what I understand.

I would supplement their feed with at least 1/2 grower. But the downside is that your layers will also most likely eat this as well.

We give unmedicated chicks starter to usually 6 weeks and change the feed over slowly over a week to the grower. Once the little ones get closer to maturity, we give them layer and sometimes mix this with whole wheat grains as well (high in protein). Our layer has identifiable grains. We feed free choice calcium grit as well.

Since we are chatting about feed, black sunflower seeds are a good supplement in late winter to add warming oils & prepare the breeders' condition. These seeds also help prevent stargazing in the resulting chicks.

Some tips to add young birds with old, mix them after dark. Also, it depends more on their size than age when you combine them. If they are similar in size, that's best. Also, give the newbies some hiding spaces to get away, and put extra feeders & waterers into the pen...far from the other ones. This should help cut down on bullies keeping them from food and water.