Jam without the Pectin?
Have you ever made strawberry jam without pectin?
I don't usually make jams, preserves, or jellies because...well, I usually eat my fruit ripe and raw and I'm not a big fan of them!
Well, my folks called earlier this week, so excited... They found a local, organic berry farm! They were raving about the strawberries and said... We got you a GALLON!
Yeah, they said...and it's only $22.00 bucks!
A gallon! I'm one person! How am I going to eat 150 strawberries in less than a week!?
You see, my freezer is where fruit goes to die. So, I don't want to freeze them. And I'm not a big fruit on toast or fruit dessert topping kind of gal. I just like to eat fruit. When it's in season.
But, not this much fruit!
Can I make a jam (slightly chunky) without sugar or pectin?
I am thinking of just mixing some lemon juice with the strawberries and boiling away until passes the spoon test? Thoughts?
Any advice welcome!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter