Medicinals to grow in the shade

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out browsing again and found this in Mother Earth Living's website.

I have 2 areas with pine trees in the yard. I can get way with planting some stuff in between them. Thought that I would post this if you have similar areas.

Comments

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the link. I've been working on increasing my shade loving friends where the sun don't shine. This article helps.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Nice article. I have boneset I could move and I really like that plant

Sweet woodruff works well under pines and in shade.

• RustBeltCowgirl

When I go over to the barn today, I need to see if there is still some Solomon's Seal growing behind the garage. Carol had had a huge bed of it.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

More information on how we can make better use of our shady areas is always welcome. Most vegetables won't grow there or won't produce anything if they do.

I had some leftover seed potatoes this year, so I planted some in odd places like under a small porch. So far they are doing surprisingly well.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to look up the growing zones for these plants. I have more woodland and forest areas on my property than I do cleared growing area.

The Golden-seal and Ginseng pictures looks a lot like another wild plant we have here that is natural but very invasive and can hurt you. Devil's Club. It is one of those that causes rashes, sun exposure with it can cause very bad burns. It is a great medicinal but many folks here will even pay for people to come dig it out of their yards. Spreads very easily so if you don't get it all, it comes right back.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot that Devil's club is also a relative of Ginseng. lol

• RustBeltCowgirl

I guess the "horridus" in its' name says it all.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@vickeym Do you have wild sarsaparilla? It is also in the ginseng family. Aralia nudicaulis. Its not actually a true sarsaparilla but can be used similarly. Good tonic. This is another plant that is good for shady areas, too.

Its too bad some people are just digging up Devil's Club. It is such a valuable medicinal that if it has to be removed for some reason, they should try and find a herbalist or native elder that will be very glad to have it.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I am growing Stinging Nettles and Marshmallow in partial shade. And this year I am going to try growing American Ginseng which likes shaded areas.