Setting time aside to forage

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spring and summer seem to be one of the busiest times for foraging. And all of a sudden you have missed a crop or are just on the brink of having it too far along to use.

I have set aside 2 hours a day (not an easy feat) to forage. I consider it a time to forage but also a time for exercise and relaxation. So by combining a few tasks into one event I can make sure I do it.

I have leaned so much her in the forum about useful plants that I want to make sure I collect them for future use.

And if I have a rainy day unfit for foraging outdoors? I forage the roadways for useful items or go in the garage and get out items I can craft or re-create with. Its still foraging, just another group of items

Do you have trouble setting time aside to forage?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I commend you for being able to set aside 2 hours per day @Monek Marie.

I pick my moments for harvesting in my immediate area. Scouting out patches and waiting for the right moment. For extended foraging, I wait for perfect days. Sunny and dry for a couple of days before picking is ideal to make sure everything is dry. Then nothing else matters. Drop everything and head for the bush for the whole day. Tuesday is predicted to be excellent for foraging so a friend and I are headed for the mountains to see what we can find. We have a forecasted stretch of nice weather coming so I hope to be able to get out several times to different areas. I have heard that the balsamroot is flowering in the grasslands.

I have a box prepared with all of the required tools, jars, paper bags, scissors, pruners, etc. so that it is ready to go whenever the situation presents itself.

• Monek Marie

@torey That sounds like so much fun, going out with a friend. With moms health I have to work around that.

Yes, there are perfect times for faraging. Today I could head out , but we had rain and everything is soaking wet.

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

It finally dried up a bit so I could go look for a few plants or herbs I might want.

I noted elderberries to harvest tomorrow morning (if nothing pops up), boneset to move and mullein to harvest and later collect seeds from. I have not used the mullein flower before and I just read you can use the root.

I did collect more white clover and wild chammomile

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I guess it is really just such a part of my lifestyle that foraging is incorporated into most everything else. I missed the morels this year, and our ramps came and went very quickly. But, I usually come back with something even just walking the dog. My podcast tomorrow is on summer foraging - I hope you enjoy it!

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

I need to make foraging part of my walks.

Its not a quiet here as where I grew up, just over the hill, but a different place. Foraging as I walk was never second nature here. But there is a lot on the land.

Looking forward to your podcast @judsoncarroll4

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I love to forage but honestly I haven't done any this year :,(. I'm a full time college student again and I find most of my time is spent on studying these days. But I'm supposed to have a bit of a break here soon over the summer so I'd like to get out there again :).

• Monek Marie

This morning after the dew lifted I collected elder flower and clippings and dug up 4 elder shrubs. Its not the best time to move them but they are near a electric line and they will be clearing the line in a week or two.

I just got done harvesting more pineapple weed and mallow is out now so I collected some of that. I think I am done for today - at least that is what my back is telling me after digging out elderberry shrubs

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody want to meet in MD, VA, WV or PA to forage together? Maybe make a meal?

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley Wouldn't that be fun!~

I have not heard if Mother earth new is having their fairs this year but I want to go to ther PA one if they do. I know someone in the forum has gone to that one

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Monek Marie that is my problem every year during this season. All of a sudden everything is growing, blossoming, producing fruit... So much to do in the vegetable garden, berries are ripping...It is also time when we receive most of our guests. If they are interested in herbs, then it is fine. We go foraging together. If not, every second day I go on mountain tours with my husband and he knows that I have to stop here or there to collect herbs. Everything I need is always in my rucksack. Just in case. And this “just in case” happens every time I go out. Every other second day is in the garden: weeding, harvesting, collecting... No time for reading, very, very little time for writing, a lot of time for thinking, planing...

i am looking forward to rainy days. Then I can catch up with something at home...

• jowitt.europe

@karenjanicki it is not easy for a full time student. On the other hand, it is a nice change when one relaxes in nature and clears one’s head from all the studying stuff and brings home some healthy plants, herbs, fruit, mushrooms....

but being retired does not mean having more time. It is a good idea to set aside two hours @Monek Marie and combine it with a walk...

• frogvalley

I have been to the one in Pennsylvania a few times. I chose it because it's three days rather than two and it's close to me. I saw that they had one in Baltimore, but I didn't get to it or it didn't happen because of Co-Vid, but that's very close and I'd like to go there, too. I get the VIP tickets so I can sit upfront and have meals provided without having to stand in line.

If anybody would like to seriously consider meeting in Winchester, I could host a day of discovery. Everyone can bring something to do, make, show, etc. We can forage, make tinctures, eat, fix weed eaters, etc. There is a building called the Country Club, but it's not fancy at all, although it has a kitchen so we could fix meals, set up tables to display things and go for foraging/discovery walks. If there aren't too many people, the beach is right next to the building. Just sayin'. Let me know and we could start it rolling.

The nice thing would be that it would be small so everyone could be involved. Hands on is so much fun and the best teacher.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

When I was taking wild crafting classes, we were regularly going out several hours but only one day of the week. I feel like I need to start doing that again. By going out once a week, I could range further to collect in more varied habitats. However, it would be really nice to get together with a couple of other people to go foraging. That was the beauty of being in class.

• Monek Marie

@marjstratton A wild crafting class would be so much fun and yes it is a lot of fun to have someone go out with you.

So far my time I have set aside is working out well. Its more of a combination of a few projects at one time but I am much further ahead in harvesting herbs and natives than I have ever been before.

• marjstratton

That is super that it is working out well for you.

• Monek Marie

@marjstratton Today was the first day I could not forage since I started this. It drizzled or poured all day!

I did start some herbs seeds to add to my gardens though. Does that count? ;)

• marjstratton

Certainly does. In class, we would take some of the too miserable days to learn other things like soap making or some other herbal activity. Of course some times we just had to grin and bare it because we just couldn't miss that particular foraging lesson. Wonderful things, umbrellas.

• Monek Marie

@marjstratton And you can only get so wet too.

I need to get back to crafting with herbs. Thanks for reminding me I can do this on a rainy day too.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I collected mullein yesterday between heavy rain storms and hung it to dry over night. The whole family is coming home this weekend and the grands will be making bundles to put in the camp fires to keep the bugs at bay.

Other than pineapple weed I haven't had the time to collect much. Someday life will slow down right?

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Ok frogvalley where is Winchester PA? Would love to do foraging/etc. days

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Oh this sounds so cool. I know nothing about foraging, but want to do bad.

@Monek Marie , I think it's a great plan and great way to get in some of those things that get pushed off.

@torey , I love you box idea that you're prepared for it.

@frogvalley , I wish you were in Texas because I would love to meet up for foraging.

My grandfather would tell me story's about my great grandmother and how she would grab a basket and go out for a walk and come back with their dinner. Even as a little kid I thought that sounded so cool! Life happened and I still haven't gotten around to learning that essential and valuable skill. 😔

Getting on these forums is my time that I have to learn and grow these days. I need to find a friend here in Texas that is as awesome and knowledgeable as all of you on here, so I can learn and my children can learn these important skills. I wish I lived near @torey , @judsoncarroll4 , @frogvalley, Marjory Wildcraft (I know she's super busy) and so so so many more of you. Being on here has been so good to read and learn from so many wonderful friends...

• Torey

@Brindy You can start preparing a foraging box or back pack now so that when you find someone to go with, you will be ready and look like a pro. You don't need to be experienced to start foraging. There are many plants that are very common and easily identifiable that you can start with. Yarrow grows almost everywhere and is very easy to identify. Similarly for plantain and clover. What about some of the common weeds in your garden? Just because they are in your garden doesn't mean you're not foraging. Dandelions, pigweed, chickweed, purslane, etc. You don't need to know all the plants to get started. I continue to learn everyday. I just learned a new use for plantain seeds. Egg substitute similar to how you would use flax seed.

There are a few places you could look into. I'm not sure what part of Texas you are in and I know its a big state. But here are a couple of links.

I've been trying to think of ways to expand my reach with the foraging walks that I teach. I see a few people doing online walks. But I'm not sure how to go about it. Most of the time I am not in cell service so wouldn't be able to do this in real time and that is how I would want to do it so that I can answer questions. I am doing a medicine making class this weekend that will involve a walk while we gather some of the ingredients. Maybe I can get someone to film it. But that is limited to plants of my area and wouldn't be as useful in other areas. Everyone needs to find someone in their own area to walk with.

• frogvalley

@bcabrobin I have a house near Winchester, Virginia. It's in a community called Lake Holiday in Cross Junction. I haven't had time to walk the woods, but would love to. Where are you located?

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I lived close to any of you I could follow around in the foraging areas and even in the medicinal and crafting areas. All of what I have learned so far has been from books or online. Along with trial and error. Pick something and bring home or take to a location where someone who knows foraging that species, such as mushrooms and ask them what it is.

Tries to get a local lady to let me forage with her and was informed quickly that she didn't have time, and that folks up here will not share their locations with others for the most part. So I have been on my own. There are a couple folks who occasionally do walks to teach you but they are typically in the middle of the day and during our busiest season at work plus they charge usually large amounts to participate. Some are as much as $300 or more for a few hours. Not in my meager budget, so I have been teaching myself where, when and what I can.

• jowitt.europe

@Monek Marie Iam glad to hear that setting time aside to forage works. I was about to ask, whether it works in the longer run. Glad for you! So far I am struggling in finding time for garden harvest. All berries are ripe at the same time.

• Monek Marie

@jowitt.europe Yes, setting time aside is working very well. The only days I have missed is if it is pouring and I cannot get out. I have kindof combined a few other things in with my time set aside (exercise, stress relief, hunting for crafting supplies and plants) So I know this time really serves a purpose.

I am actually surprised the success I have had with it this year, an upside down year

• Torey

@vickeym You will run into that to that with foragers. They can be very secretive with their prime picking locations. Particularly when it is a less than common plant.

When I do foraging walks, I will choose a general trail area and then point out all of the medicinals, edibles and craft plants along that trail. Usually, these are common plants that can be found in most areas of the region. If I find something that is rare, I might point it out and specify that it is rare enough to be left alone or I might just not mention it if I think people will be tempted to pick it.

To me, this is all knowledge that will be lost if we don't share what we know. There is very little that I won't share. I know there are some First Nation teachers who may be reluctant to share a lot and justifiably so. When settlers learned about some plants, there was (and still is) a lot of rapin' and pillagin' of the forest. But I had the opportunity to take an ethnobotany class in the Nass Valley and the elders there were very willing to share all that they knew. When we asked about this, one elder said, "If we don't tell you, there will be no one left to tell". A sad state of affairs that indigenous knowledge will be lost for fear of losing the plants themselves.

$300 is a terrible price to pay for a foraging walk. We have had some very well known herbalists in the area (Susun Weed was one) and I think it has only been $250 for entire weekends. I did a walk few weeks ago and as it was only an hour and a half, I only charged $5 each. I am doing a 6 hour medicine making class this weekend and the price is $60 and includes products to take home. I know prices for material goods can be a lot higher in Alaska but I can see no reason for herbalists or foragers to charge such a premium price for classes.

If I ever decide to make the trek up your way, I will let you know and we can organize something and I promise it will be affordable.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭