What's your Harvest Today?

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

This morning I picked a a mugful of raspberries and blueberries. I just now came in from picking a bowl of peas and blueberries. I love summer!

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL There is such a joy in harvesting from your yard or within walking distance.

I picked one tomato - early here. One cucumber and a bunch of herbs and wild edibles for drying. I planned it perfectly as its going to rain any second.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fresh strawberries and lettuce are making it to the table.

Peas are not ready yet, but will be soon.

Pole beans are coming along nicely and will probably produce in another month.

It's possible that new potato fingerlings are about ready.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the first day of winter here. But I have arugula, collards, and lettuce, as well as my herb garden. Fortunately, it doesn't go below freezing often or for long periods.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Nothing yet! Our last average frost-free date here is June 1, so that's pretty much our target date for summer planting. Things are coming along nicely, but it's not soon enough for a harvest yet.... Looking forward to the season's first tomatoes, though. We have a pretty short warm-weather growing season here (about 110 days), so I have to plant crops that mature quickly. We are venturing into melons this year for the first time, and were able to find some at my favorite local nursery that mature within about 70 days or so. The kids are excited! We'll see how we do....

• VermontCathy

@Merin Porter That sounds like a good climate for peas, lettuce, spinach, onions, beets, and chard.

Early or mid-season potatoes are probably okay where you are. I am hoping to harvest some fingerling new potatoes soon.

Tomatoes, not so much. I avoid late beefsteak tomatoes here because I only have 120 frost-free days. You have it even tougher. I view tomatoes as an August-only crop in Vermont.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@VermontCathy it is! Kale, asparagus, and rhubarb are perennial here, which is nice, and we can do strawberries perennially if we cover them during the winter. We also have lots of fruit trees, and that's a fantastic addition to the table -- we've got plums, apples, and apricots in our yard, and our neighbors have pears, peaches, and cherries, too. We'd like to add those eventually, but I'm pretty content with bartering our chicken eggs for their fruit right now! :D

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blueberries!!!! My husband and I spent almost 2 hours picking them! I've been freezing them and making cobblers and such. Now, I'm giving bags to friends. We've been picking 2 bags a day but we skipped yesterday because it was Father's Day. So, today we picked double.

I've also picked a couple egg plants and tomatoes.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Blueberries, onion tops, rhubarb and various edible flowers are what's being harvested today. I thought I was sacrificing an onion bulb for each onion top I cut to eat since they went to seed instead of using the energy to grow the underground bulb. My husband told me that the onions never grow very well anyway and are basically lost, so it's a good thing that I harvest the tops. Yay me!

@kbmbillups1 How many blueberry plants do you have? What kind and how old? What type? I want to know everything you're doing because my husband goes through BB's like nobody's business. We planted Reka last year and are getting about a cup a day. I dread having to go to the blueberry farm an hour away, day after day, and look forward to the day we harvest enough to freeze.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I picked four zucchini! We've also been getting a few raspberries, some lettuce, and my husband dug our first planting of potatoes. We'll plant more soon.

• Monek Marie

One zucchini, one yellow squash. one tomato, Egyptian onions for stuffing and the tops for salads.

Raspberries and black raspberries.

A few edible flowers and herbs - mainly for drying.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frogvalley I have 3 blueberry plants that are probably 7 or 8 years old. I planted them when my girls were young and they only got a few berries for 3 or 4 years. Then, they took off. I didn't know until 2 years ago that I was supposed to be cutting an old limb or two down each year so newer ones would grow. Last year was crazy and I didn't get around to it so 2 of my bushes are so tall I had to use a step ladder this year to pick the upper branches. My husband is the ladder holder because he hates picking the berries.

I have 2 high bush that are the same type but I didn't write down what type when I planted them years ago. They weren't getting but a few berries so I planted a 3rd bush. I had no idea what I was doing. I just went down to the grower's outlet near me and bought another bush. It turns out to be a completely different type - low bush. It gets the biggest sweetest berries. I wish I'd kept track of which ones I planted because I'd love to plant another one of that type. This bush is huge too but not as tall as the others. I can reach the top branches and pull them down to pick the berries.

Basically, I saw online that you can fertilize them with chopped up banana peels. So, every year in the fall I drop the chopped up banana peels around each bush. All three bushes are loaded with berries but the low bush one has at least 4 times as many as the other two. Last year was the first year that I got to pick the berries from that bush because we usually go on vacation when that bush gets ripe which means the birds and rabbits get them. Guess I learned something thanks to covid.

I also have some type of grand daddy long leg spiders in my bushes that keep the bugs away. Every year they come back and take care of my bushes. They tickle if they get on your arm but usually they run farther up the leaves as I pick. Thanks to the spiders I don't spray anything on them.

Other than that I don't do anything. They only get water when it rains. They're the best thing I've ever grown because they basically grow all on their own. I pick two quart cups a day (I use the plastic cups from the QT convenient store that I saved from getting water there.) and some days 3 especially when the low bush starts getting ripe. It gets ripe after the other 2 so I pick them every day for about 3 weeks.

I have so many in the freezer even though I've been making different desserts that I've been giving quart baggies stuffed full away to friends and family or trading them for other veggies. I traded a bag the other day for a cabbage and a bunch of jalapeno peppers!

I don't know if any of that helped since I really don't do anything. I just got lucky with these bushes. My figs trees haven't gotten any figs after several years. Wish I could get lucky with them too!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Kale and black raspberries today. So many black raspberries. My Dad picked the last of our sugar snap peas a day or two ago, and blueberries yesterday.

• VermontCathy

Our peas are almost ready, close enough to be tantalizing.

I took some fresh strawberries and lettuce to a neighbor, and they said they would gift us with some eggs from their chickens. Share the wealth!

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Grapefruits.

• Monek Marie

One zucchini, one tomato, 1quart peas (my last bunch for this crop) 1quart new potatoes, 1 bunch rhubarb.

There will be new potaotes and peas for lunch tomorrow and rhubarb crisp.

Zucchini for dinner tonight. We cook it with onions and peppers and possibly meat then add cubed zucchini, cook and serve on top of rice. There will be a side dish of sliced cucumbers and oions in a vinegar basil mix that has been chilled for a few hours.

Wild raspberries are just coming out along with black raspberries. If I have enough I will make jam. If not, we will serve it with ice cream

• VermontCathy

Eight cups of strawberries, which have been turned into eight jars of strawberry jam.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Comfrey leaves. I managed to get out picking before 10:00. After that it was too hot to do anything. They are drying on a rack, which shouldn't take long in this heat.

• Monek Marie

@torey , thanks for reminding me to get to the comfrey. I am also going to a plant swap and need to start comfrey for that event.(comfrey is not that popular around here).

The humidity is unbearable here today. I picked a few cucumbers this moring and a handful of raspberries. By sunset I will have a few more things ready to harvest

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@torey What do you do with the Comfrey leaves?

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@torey I too am curious what you are doing with the comfrey leaves. I planted last year just a small 4” pot and bow it’s growing like crazy. I also was curious if I should allow it to lay down or give it some support. It is my understanding that the roots are the medicinal part but the leaves are useful as well. I heard cut the leaves n give it to chickens and to put it in your compost; would also love your take…let me grab a pic

The one shoot fell onto the ground; it has flowers so was wondering if I should let it lay and if it’ll reseed itself?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@frogvalley and @maimover I will be making a oil with some of them and then a salve on its own or in a combination salve. I might mix comfrey, calendula and cottonwood bud for a wound salve. The rest I will save as dried leaves for use in poultices/fomentations. They are used that way over top of breaks or torn muscles/ligaments or for applying over injured or sore eyes.

Comfrey makes good animal feed and is excellent compost material.

@maimover you could leave the plant laying down or cut it back and it will come again just as big. Sometimes you are able to cut it twice and have it regrow. Then the last time it flowers it can reseed itself. This plant you have will continue to grow and put out more shoots from the root. I'd let it grow another year before harvesting the root. That is when you will get a lot of spread. Any little bits of root left in the ground will regrow into new plants.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@torey thanks so much I will definitely cut some leaves. I have dried comfrey I purchased from MR herbs and have used it for similar balm like stuff. I went into a panic mode last year and started buying more medicinal plants, added to my herbs, and just planted n kept them alive; figured I’d figure it out as I went and the plants grew. Great info, thx 🙂

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

It is such an intensive harvesting and foraging time. Strawberries, wild strawberries, cucumbers, lettuce, radishes, spring onions, sweet cherries, red currants.

st John’s Wort’s blossoming tops, rose petals...

busy, busy time

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Been harvesting lettuce, Swiss chard, sugar snap peas, and strawberries. Patiently waiting for my first red tomato.

• Jaylene
    Jaylene Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Blackberries boysenberries and figs that I can’t keep up with. Also a few tomatoes

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked a handful of fresh herbs. Parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon balm, lemon thyme, oregano, dill...

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL Today I harvested, lettuce, shallots, parsley, rocket and coriander for tonight’s salad. In the orchard, it was lemons, limes and ruby red grapefruit. I plan on making a heap of preserved lemons soon, our trees are loaded.

• COWLOVINGIRL

@JodieDownUnder All of that sounds heavenly!

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Monek Marie You are making me hungry! That sounds like a dinner to be enjoyed!

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I am not getting much of anything right now. I had a stroke and got depressed and got my garden in late this year. We compsted and muched but so far we've gotten a bunch of beans, a few tomatoes and some jalapeños. I have onions , corn, several types of squash, cucumbers, potatoes, sweet potatoes and bell peppers growing but nothing ready to harvest yet. It is so sad.