Traveling Internationally with my seeds

My family and I are moving to Cape Verde in August and want to take our seeds with us. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, are there prerequisites to doing so?

Tagged:

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@twcondrey No seeds are not permitted to be taken to Africa according to this site. A certain area may be more lenient. This was for business purposes so maybe check to see if for personal use it would be permitted

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

@twcondrey I would also check their areas seed they sell and see if the seeds you are taking are what they grow there. Often a seed is banned because it might be invasive in that area or they are afraid of insect contamination.

And welcome to TGN!! When you have time check out our forum rules and FAQs and introduce yourself in our introductions and regionally specific discussion area.

What an exciting move. Where are you moving from?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@twcondrey big warm welcome to TGN. Hope the move goes well, stay in touch.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@twcondrey Welcome to TGN's forum.

I had never heard of Cape Verde before. I found lots of pics of fabulous looking beaches. Lucky you.

I know that some Canadian and American seed companies export to other countries. I looked into this for sending seeds to Haiti. Often an Import Permit is required from the country the seeds are going to. I don't know if this would apply to personal seeds or not.

Checking with a government agency to see what is considered invasive is a good idea. Some plant species might upset the whole balance of the ecology on a small island.

• twcondrey
    twcondrey Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

@Monek Marie We are moving from from North Georgia.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cape Verde islands are an independent nation, not part of South Africa. So the web site that @Monek Marie pointed to is not relevant. South Africa is just one country in the continent of Africa.

However, many countries have restrictions on the importation of plants and seeds, so the Republic of Cabo Verde may indeed limit your ability to bring seeds there. You'll have to do more research to find out.

• Monek Marie

@ltwickey I have relatives in North Georgia

As @VermontCathy said. It is always best to check with the exact area you are moving to to get the best answer. Overall most of Africa seems to have stricter regulations than many countries. Even in the United State you see changes from one region to another. I trade seeds a lot and am very careful about any seed or plant moving from one place to another.