Old Sayings/Clichés: Let's have some fun!

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

"Like putting lipstick on a pig"-trying to get you to think a deal is better than it actually is.

These are great! Thank you all for sharing.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,635 admin

"Up a creek without a paddle". Deep trouble.

"Out of the frying pan and into the fire". Jumping into deeper trouble than you were already in.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandma used to say, "Well, I swan<" or "I'll swan". Usually when I was telling her something she didn't quite believe.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I can remember this one from my grandmothers and parents, it was used every time any of us kids apologized for some dumb thing we did..."Words are cheap, actions speak"

"Were you raised in a barn?" Any time we came in filthy from play.

"Don't cry over spilt milk" This was use whenever there was a situation you could do nothing about but move on.

"Go outside and change your air" This was told to children 365 days of the year when grown-ups needed a break!

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Money can't buy happiness.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Two peas in a pod. When 2 people are very similar . Probably not the original meaning, but that's how my family used it.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever my grandfather would make a mistake he would say "Oh my aching back! I forgot my horse."

• Brindy

When we would say sorry, my parents would say, "I know you are, now apologize." Not sure that is an old saying, but it's been on my family for at least 3 generations.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. My parents would say that when we were being mean or leaving someone out. As a family we need everyone to be strong.

The bees knees- said when something was awesome. Not sure exactly what it meant.

All the bells and whistles. All the extras.

Living on borrowed time. Either when you might have died, but didn't or someone who is close to dying.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some rude ones I've heard over the years.

It's colder than a witch's tit out there!

Just like spitting in the wind.

• annflancan
    annflancan Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

That's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

Many hands make light work.

I had another great one yesterday while I was doing up strawberries and my hands were too sticky to post...but can I remember it today? 🤦‍♀️

• LaurieLovesLearning

"A stick in the mud." This is someone stubborn that blocks any forward progress.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Oh I love these! I think I grew up with about 90% of them. If we were “raised in a barn” we left the front door to the house open, but if they told us to “check the barn door” it meant our zipper had fallen down. I find myself using more of my dads old sayings all the time.

If something is a “pretty penny” it is expensive.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

My husband likes to say he can tell a hawk from a handsaw. I still don't get that one haha 😂

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad and his GC both said today - "if it ain't broken don't fix it".

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,458 admin
    edited July 2021

After hearing a commercial for a "sporting goods store" touting Camo Yoga Pants... I have a new saying: That idea is as stupid as camo yoga pants!

• Brindy

@karenjanicki , I believe it is a reference to Hamlet and means you can tell things apart, ie, I can figure out out or in not stupid.

@judsoncarroll4 , I like that and might borrow it.....

The other day a lady was talking to her kid and said, "Heavens to Betsy " I got so excited because I had another one to add here, but then I forgot to add it. It basically means goodness gracious. When something is surprising or unbelievable.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Give it a lick and a promise--doing a job very superficially

Done is good enough--don't fuss about getting things perfect, just get them done

I love how the sayings, like the above two, often seem to contradict each other. It just goes to show that we need wisdom in order to determine which one is relevant at any time.

• Annie Kate

Here are some more:

Plan your work and work your plan.

Don't let the sun go down on your anger.

From the Dutch: It's a truth like a cow--in other words, it's obvious.

Like a bull in a china shop

A stitch in time saves nine

Don't fix it if it ain't broke

Too many chiefs, not enough Injuns

• LaurieLovesLearning

Too many cooks spoil the stew.

I am starting to hope that I'm not going to be repeating any already here. 😆

• Annie Kate

@LaurieLovesLearning Here it's Too many cooks spoil the broth. Funny how there are little differences.

If you can't say something nice, don't say it.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

Quick as a wink.

In two shakes of a lamb's tail. (I remember the first time I saw a lamb nursing, and then I understood this saying!)

• Brindy

I have been having some really bad headaches lately and for some reason my messages are all messed up and I don't notice it until later. These are some that I put up the other day that were all messed up, but corrected.

A watched pot never boils

Don't kick the gift horse in the mouth. Appreciate what you're getting and who gave it to you.

6 in one and 1/2 a dozen the other. When basically they are the same thing either way.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Meaning you go farther with people by being nice.

And of course a few new ones!

You don't have a leg to stand on. Meaning you don't have anything to back you up.

That cost an arm and a leg. (It's expensive)

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Dead as a door nail.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Not playing with a full deck. This is actually from the American Revolution (or more accurately one of its causes). The British put a paper tax on cards but it was only marked on one of the kings (I can't remember which one) so to avoid the tax people won't play with that card.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Cornelius I learned something new today. I didn't know where the card one originated.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Considering our area lately, this came to mind:

Dry as a bone

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

My husband always says "What's that got to do with the price of beans?", when someone interjects with something not on topic.

I used to watch a cute cartoon with my kids about being on the prairie back in the old days. The word andale in this saying is pronounced On-dah-lay with the accent on the first syllable. The word andale in spanish can mean hurry up. The guy who drove the stagecoach in the cartoon would always tell his helper, " Andale, andale, a little more On and a little less delay." I used to say this to my youngest when he was younger...wait...I still tell him that! Hah!

Other sayings:

You get what you pay for.

Talk is cheap.

What goes around comes around.

That's all she wrote.

The last one in's a rotten egg. (when we went swimming)

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@judsoncarroll4 My mom would say the one about whistling girls and crowing hens fairly frequently, and then go about her chores merrily whistling away. Shows how much stock she put in that saying!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read a couple in the project I'm working on right now.

It will knock your socks off!

@naomi.kohlmeier reminded one I heard as a child. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier last night while cleaning up from dinner I used that one "that's all she wrote" my husband thought I had lost it. Apparently, he had never heard it before. I giggled when I saw that you listed it here. I haven't lost my mind. At least not yet!

• shllnzl

Time to pay the piper.

It takes one to know one.

He'd lose his head if it wasn't screwed on.

• shllnzl

Something you've misplaced can be "right under your nose."

Or, don't worry about it, "it's no skin off my nose!"

And, you certainly don't want to "cut off your nose to spite your face"