Today's safety tip!
Do Not Text and Walk. Do Not Do Anything Else On Your Phone and Walk. Especially at Night.
I never used to do any of the above. Just in the last couple of weeks a very good friend moved away, and I've been on my phone quite a bit more. Last evening I was texting while gardening. That works ok. I was still texting when I walked up to the house for something- almost ran into the green beans. Thought, hmmm, shouldn't text and walk. A little while later, after dark, I walked around the front of the house to watch the fireworks the fire department puts off every year. Attempted to walk back around the house. I wasn't texting this time, but I noticed I had accidentally opened an app and attempted to close it while walking. Did you know that the glare of a phone really interferes with my otherwise good night vision? We have a colony of watering cans that we keep at the back end of our driveway all growing season, usually filled with water. I unfortunately disturbed them and they had no choice but to defend their territory. One moment I am closing said app, the next I am on the ground, getting my skirt drenched and my shin gouged. Those wire handles are fierce.
Do Not Do Anything On Your Phone While Walking.
This concludes today's safety bulletin.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter