We tell ourselves "It was just another dumb _______ animal".
As we sit holding an animal that is dying and we have done everything, anyone could do. But anyone who has had animals, a homestead or farm, knows sometimes no matter what you, or the vets have done, saves every animal.
To protect ourselves, you keep saying "it's just a dumb animal". But If it's just a "dumb" animal why does it hurt so much when another ones dies? Why do you feel there was something else you should of done? Second, third and fourth guessing if I had only done this or that, would they of lived?
After a year when we have lost so many. Goats, chickens, ducks, cats and kittens, why did a stupid little kitten hit me the hardest? A little black thing not much bigger than my hand, with a squeaky meow, we past many hurdles, many times I thought this is it she can't make it though, but she would fight and survive. This week was to much, not sure it was the heat, more than likely it was air blowing over her from the fans. She tried, we tried but add another small grave to the ever growing plot.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter