How fast can you run if need be? Fast, and that's the naked truth (story) Part two

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you missed part one of the story, here is the link:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/847070/how-fast-can-you-run-if-need-be-fast-and-thats-the-naked-truth-story-part-one

As I break onto the shoreline from the woods I am greeted by one of the most unique lake fronts I have ever seen. Its very wild, untamed and looks untouched. It's a hard shoreline to walk being tangled with fallen limbs and trees.

I'm a little edgy from my adventurous walk down and sounds of snakes. But I have been looking forward to finding this area so begin my artifact hunting. I found the small cove I saw from across the lake and as I thought, I did find some interesting pieces of history. This is the first time I found drills! I also discovered a mortar.

Just a little further up the shore was a huge flat rock that jutted out over the lake. It must have been 20 foot wide and 30 foot long. At one time this was probably a natural look out. It was a great place to take a break, enjoy the beauty and plan my walk back up the hillside. I had looked for another path up the hill but there was only one way back up. What would I find?

I walked as fast as I could up that hill and could still hear snakes daring around me. My feet felt heavy as I approached the top of the hill. I had no idea what I would walk in to once I entered the field. My trip took about 4 hours but I could see there was a man, sitting on a bench, waiting for me to walk in front of his house. Thankfully he was fully clothed with his dog sitting beside him.

As I approached he asked me, " Would you like a drink?"

He handed me a can of Mountain Dew, the one drink I literally can not stand, but I said yes and he passed me the warm can of pop. I cracked the pop can lid and listened to his story.

He grew up on this land and raised a family here. His hope was to leave it to his family one day but the government had other ideas. They decided this was the perfect place to put a small dam in that would create a lake and flood much of the surrounding area. He and his wife were granted permission to stay on the land as long as they lived. Their only responsibility was to open the gate and allow people to walk to the lakefront.

His wife had passed and it was just the dog and him watching people pass by. I could tell he was lonely and enjoyed these few moments when he had the opportunity to talk to someone. He wanted to know if I would be returning and I told him I could not promise if I would or not. My job was demanding and often lead me to new towns and areas. Unfortunately I did not return. I had planned to but time got away from me and it was time to move to a new town.

The artifacts I found that day are one of my most unique and the story that goes with them, one of a kind.

I told my story to neighbors and friends and I was told this man was almost a legend. They knew he existed but he was rarely ever seen.

Comments

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine how that felt for the poor man to have his family land taken away and prevented from being able to pass it on to his kids.

• Monek Marie
    edited July 2021

@Cornelius We had the same thing happen so I know exactly how he felt. We had to totally move.

Today we are going to the Kinzua Reunion. A reunion for those that lived there. We share photos and stories.

I know, the man is no longer here but I wonder how he did while he lived on the land.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Wow.

• Monek Marie

Update on my Kinzua reunion. It was fantastic! Mom was a bir reluctant to go after being ill but we managed to dodge ther rain (not easy yesterday) and had a great time. Mom had so much information to sahre was was the hit of the reunion. She has 4 lunch dates to line up ;)

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I am sorry to hear about the forced displacement and that really stinks. The reunion sounds fun and I am glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselves! Thank you for sharing your story!