Paleo and Keto backup foods? your suggestions
I'm getting a lot of questions from folks on the keto or paleo diets on what foods can they buy now to stock up?
That would be protein and fats...
Yes, I tell them to get chickens, rabbits, a garden for fresh food... and a stock of backup supplies is really a good idea.
In general the question of what to stock up on for those of us who mostly fresh is a big question.
But no doubt, protein and fat are the more challenging foods to produce and the best to have a stash of.
Here are some that I've been thinking of - and noticing the exp dates
- tuna fish, especially from brands that measure the mercury content. I'm seeing exp dats of 6/23 for water stored tuna.
- canned coconut milk is mostly fat and I'm seeing an 8/22 exp date on my recently purchased cans
- epic duck fat comes in jars. looks shelf stable until opened. not sure how long you can store it.
- Mayonaise is mostly fat and OMG, the exp date on my jars is already passed! LOL. It tastes good and I've eaten it. I guess Puerto Rico is the end of the line for the food chain and we tend to get older stuff.
- freeze dried beef and chicken. (I bought a chunk of a cow, 25 free range chickens, and a freeze dryer just for this). Freeze drying lasts for up to 20+ years if done properly. But you can't freeze dry fats so these are lean meats.
- jerkied meats? not sure how long they last in storage.
- pickled eggs? again not sure how long they last but the Chinese have claims of 1,000 years LOL
I'm also thinking about getting a 7 cu. ft. deep freezer and filling it with meat and butter and other fats. Those are getting so energy efficient now that even in a grid down situation it would not take much solar power to keep the freezer going. But frozen meat is only good for a year or two at the most. Maybe smoked meats would last longer in the freezer?
The other option of course is to store tradable stuff so you can get what you want even if you don't eat it. Things like honey, sugar, alcohol, beans, grains, and rice... So these are foods with long shelf lives which YOU might not eat, but others would.
Anyway, do you have any suggestions for what paleo or keto people can stock up on? And approximate shelf life?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 466 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 539 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 400 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 109 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter