Peanut Butter Coconut Icecream (dairy free, and fun mix-ins!)

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I made this yesterday, and while I don't have the recipe perfectly worked out, I thought it was good enough to share. For some of my dairy-free ice cream I manage to get the coconut flavor in the background. It was definitely prominent here, but in a good way. The flavor kind of reminded me of a chick-o-stick; which might not sound appealing, but it was actually pretty good. And I have fond memories of chick-o-sticks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-O-Stick When I say dairy free, I mean the base ice cream. One of the mix-ins I used included dairy, but that is optional.

6 cups coconut cream(I use Aroy-D)

2 cups almond milk

2/3 c. natural peanut butter (I used crunchy. just a slight textural difference)

1 1/4 cup natural sweetener of choice(as it happened, I used a mix of rapadura, coconut sugar, honey, and maple syrup. You do not need to use that many sweeteners! I started with 2/3 cup mix of rapadura and coconut sugar, than added the others to taste. I typically use less sweetener in my ice cream, but I also usually use some kind of fruit in it- and some peanut butters are more "savory" than others- this one definitely wasn't a sweet peanut butter, so I had to compensate. Just be aware that honey softens icecream, and if you use too much it might not freeze properly.)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

salt to taste- and make sure you taste! You need enough salt to bring out the peanut butter flavor.

Melt heat two cups of the cream on the stove stop. Whisk in the peanut butter until smooth. If you are using sugar or honey, whisk it into the warm mixture- I'd assume it doesn't matter when you'd add maple syrup, as it isn't grainy like sugar or prone to "lumping" in cold mixtures like honey. Chill. Combine peanut butter mixture with the remaining ingredients, and freeze in ice cream maker. If desired, make some tasty add ins in the meanwhile.

Freezer chocolate- this is solid in icecream, but not as hard as regular chocolate, so it has a nicer mouthfeel when you go to eat the ice cream

2 Tbs. honey

4 Tbs. cocoa powder( I use Dutch process)

4 Tbs. coconut oil

salt to taste. And taste it!

Whisk together, pour into a pie plate or something similar, and freeze solid. Crack into small pieces and stir into your ice cream when it's done churning. The honey gives it a slight "chew". It's really yummy! You might find yourself making it just to keep in the freezer for nibbling.

And if you really want to take it over the top, make some peanut butter cookie dough! So yeah, this was actually coconut peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough icecream. It was worth it.

1/4 butter

1/4 cup peanut butter

1/4 coconut sugar

3/4 cup oat flour

salt to taste

Cream together. Pat into a pie plate and freeze until firm. Cut into small chunks and stir into ice cream.

Alternately, you could make the mix-ins and keep them in a container in the freezer, so people could top their individual servings.