Food scrap uses

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the vein of "waste not, want not", found this article about using food scraps.

And this 2nd article follows right along.

Comments

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

You can use many of these items to make jelly/jams.

Brother in law always made corn cob jelly.

We used the skins from the peaches/plums/apples etc. added water cooked them off, after running them through the juicer, put back into the pan and reduce to make peach butter. YUM!!!!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use some of my scraps to make vegetable stocks and for fruit I will freeze some that are starting to get soft then use them in smoothies.

For waste scraps I have two large composts in a trashcans outside, one bucket in the garage and I have 3 worm binds in one of my raised beds and plan on three more in each of the other two raised beds.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Oh, this is great. I currently don't have compost and I HATE throwing away all the bits. I do often freeze the scraps and make a stock...but, I know myself...and my freezer is where things go to die!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

I am saving vegie scraps for vegetable broth. Also I just wondered if you used a vegamatic (cuts swirls of vegetables) can you dry these. I guess I will have to try it and see. I love to use the vegetable swirls in all kinds of things.

• Lisa K

@dipat2005 if drying does not work how about freeze them for stock later on?

• dipat2005

@Lisa K thanks great idea!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I love learning how to best make use of what I've got. For a good three meals "recycling" style I made a roast chicken and veggies on day one, day two I boiled the carcas and made chicken soup and on day three I took the leftover soup broth and made my crockpot bean dish. It was delicious and frugal :)

• Lisa K

@dipat2005 you are very welcome 😊

@karenjanicki that is awesome! I love being able to make something once and create something new at least one more time. I like to take soy chorizo and black beans which I first make tacos, then a 2nd time I use the mixture for a base for eggs and possible another time I can use it as a side dish for a 3rd meal.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

What a great bunch of recipes and ideas! Some I do already or at least knew about, some are entirely new, hadn't even thought of them. But the one that takes the prize for me is using the brine from canned chickpeas as an egg white substitute--definitely going to try that one.

I recently received a Dash Mini Doughnut Maker as a gift--a little gadget that bakes seven 2" doughnuts at a time. I thought it was a silly space waster till I realized that you could build a recipe around that last overripe banana, mushy avocado, soft apple or whatever, with whatever other bits of leftover nuts, citrus peel, etc. etc. that might be lingering in the fridge, and turn that into a batch of tasty treats.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that the tough stalk of broccoli can be peeled and then added to soups or salads and eaten easily! I love making cream of asparagus soup with the ends of asparagus as well. I steam the tender tops/stalks and cut off the woody bottoms and save that beautiful center for the soup. It is like getting two meals out of the one veggie. :-)

• dipat2005

@monica197 I eat broccoli stalks when I can get them. I don't even peel them. All that fiber is good for us.

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Between bone broth bits I freeze, chickens (who have no word for picky) and a worm bin, I wish I could get a local restaurant to save their food scraps for me. I would love to raise a pig every year or two but not having scraps to go around now and no access to a better feed than the gmo crap at the local feed store, I just can’t see how to do it. With my kids being grown, my hubby and I just don’t waste enough, lol.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭

I freeze for stock too. Also compost. And worm bin. I'm so cliche'.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds like it might be tasty! I like adding things to my eggs to beef them up and make them taste different. Maybe I'll have to give that a try!

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I use mine for broth since I don't have a compost ATM