Canning Greens

Got myself a bran spanking new pressure canner for my induction stove. I'm so happy with it!

I was reading the manual and came across directions to can greens such as chard, kale etc. Who knew? I sure didn't and was surprised that this could even work. Please share how it turns out if you pressure can them. After canning them for 90 minutes wouldn't they be just mush? And is there ways to use them other than as is from the jar.

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

@soeasytocraft canning greens doesn't appeal to me at all. Powdering greens does or drying kale chips with garlic salt and coconut oil. They are really good.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Yes, they can be canned. But, I don't think they are very good.

Preserving greens to me in general isn't appealing.

I agree, if I were going to do anything, I'd powder them to add to soups and stews in the winter months.

Think canned spinach from the grocery - it's like that. Sure, add butter and cream to it... and the butter and cream tastes good ;)

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@dipat2005 @Ruth Ann Reyes Your comments are what I picture in my mind. I thought they might work out in stir fries but that's all I can think of.

I dry lots of greens to powder as well. We have a tablespoon with our breakfast smoothie every day. Takes a lot of greens to make enough or an entire year! lol Ruth Ann I like the idea of adding cream to a fresh sautéed dish of greens. Everything is better with cream! Coconut cream would be a nice substitute I bet.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have to live in the deep south like me, in Georgia, to like them canned. Myself, I don't like mushy greens but that's how people eat them down here. Mostly, collards are what they love down here but I like other greens better.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I think it makes it more palatable for most folks

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 I grew bit of collards this year for the first time. So far just dehydrated them for green powder. Not enough to bother canning with. Might have to plant more next year and try canning them.

This Week's Leaders