Winnowing Rabbit Feed - Chaff makes great treats!

monica197
monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in Rabbits

I winnowed my rabbit pellets today and mixed the chaff with a little bit of ground flax seeds and enough water for it to hold together. Then I rolled it into little balls and baked them at 400 for 1 hour. Perfect rabbit treats. And everything gets used!

Comments

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Interesting! What all is there and how did you do it?

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@monica197 Looks great. I might change the feed type to horse and try to make "pony" treats. Hmmm, ground sweet feed, ground flax seed, carrot shavings, a little bit of molasses.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful idea! Mine would love that. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to give that a try.

• monica197

It is simply the chaff, a little ground flax (I did not measure it) and some water (I did not measure that either, I just added it until stuff started to stick well together and could get a little ball to form). I baked them at 400 for 60 min.

I would bet adding a touch of applesauce or some ground up dried blueberries would make these even more yummy for them.

I broke one ball in half and gave 1/2 to each of my rabbits and they ate it right up. They loved it!

I loved it because there is no waste.

• soeasytocraft

@monica197 Sorry I didn't ask my question correctly. I was wondering what you mean by winnowing the pellets? Is that just the bits that are in the bottom of the bag? This might also work good with the flakey hay that I end up with. I bet the addition of fruit would make it all the more yummy and nutritious or them.

• monica197

Yes - that is exactly what I meant. After a time or two, there seems to develop a collection of crumbs in the bottom of the container. And I see it in the bottom of the Timothy hay bag too. I take them both and mix them together until I have a nice sizeable batch. This is what I mixed with a bit of ground flax and water and then baked. Applesauce is also another yummy addition.

• soeasytocraft

@monica197 thanks for the idea. I'll have to give it a try.