Humor: Plant Lovers Anonymous

Cornelius
Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share some of my humor.

Are you or a loved one addictive to plants? This all to common problem has a solution: Plant Addicted Anonymous. In our once weekly meetings and online forums we will help teach your family members their wrongs. We will help free them from their addition by encouraging them to give up some seeds (in our seed trade), show them how to cut back their plant problems (through pruning), and what sites have the best seeds (to avoid of course πŸ˜‰ο»Ώ). Yes, we at TGN... I mean at Plant Addicted Anonymous can help treat even the most sever cases of plant addiction. Also family members that wish to get involved in their loved ones treatment can also take lessons on why growing your food is important (to understand your loved ones factual arguments), the benefits of growing your own food (these tips are delicious), herbal medicine (for emergencies), etc. So come on down to TGN where all of your plant dreams to come true.

Tagged:
Β«13

Comments

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

My name is Monica and I am a plant-aholic.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

My name is Vickey and I am a plant addict. (Now can I steal your post and sent to my family members? LOL

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too am a plant-aholic. My husband gently had to pull me away from new plants on display at the nursery. Just today I added two plants to my yard, and in the process tried to save two other plants that were not likely to survive.

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

A friend once described my interior decorating style as "rampant jungle" and my exterior as "are you sure you have enough plants out here?" I may have a minor problem - but I just tell my husband - at least it isn't drugs!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would respond to this in better detail but my keyboard is buried under seeds I am sorting.

I did buy "only" one plant today. A rosemary: I plan to take cuttings from it to start more plants. That way, I did not buy them.

• Cornelius

@monica197 In unison "Hi Monica"! lol

@vickeym By all means. Share this far and wide lol! (Hopefully it attracts more people to TGN!)

@shllnzl I feel that. When I go to Costco I am not allowed to go near the garden section.

@Sheila Is that not a common decorating style πŸ˜‚? Can one have too many plants? Nah.

@Monek Marie I have done that (more than once come to think about it)! lol

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi my name is Lisa and I guess I have to call myself a plant -aholic. Does having 60 to 65 different roses bushes considered a plant-aholic or an obsession which is what my dad called it.

• shllnzl

@Lisa K At least you know what you like.

I tend to like a little of everything, but I am limited by my desert climate and practicality of growing plants indoors.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

I am not only plant bu also bee-aholic. The number of plants in increasing every year, but I am hesitant to harvest them as they blossom so nicely and there are so many bees. I leave more and more plants just to bees and birds.

• Lisa K

@shllnzl true but it seems every year I end up with a new obsession, one year it was plumerias & roses, last year it was medicinal herbs and roses, etc. This year has been a year of trying to critter-proof everything so I can find a new obsession 😁

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Cornelius my name is Jodie and I am a plantaholic, so is my wicked step mother and so are most of my friends! Group discount?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also a plant-aholic. My family thinks I have a real problem. My husband and oldest son are enablers. I couldn't tell you have many plants or seeds I purchased over the weekend. I'm planning on stopping at another nursery today. There is still more grass in my yard so I have room for more plants!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Hehe. Fantastic πŸ˜‚

• Cornelius

@Lisa K In all honesty if your here (in TGN forums) your a plant-aholic πŸ˜‚. Having that many plants in general is cool and way to go preserving rose biodiversity! I personally am like @shllnzl and collect a little bit of everything. Also if you wanted to trade for other plant cuttings and seeds the forums are a great place to do it (or just more rose varieties)!

@shllnzl Can you grow dragon fruit and moringa where you live?

@jowitt.europe I want to get into bee keeping in a few years. I think you can't go wrong feeding the bees and I actually just read an article about how there are apparently too many bee keepers in cities in Europe. I think the solution should be to encourage everyone to plant flowers and have them going all season long to increase the food supply.

@JodieDownUnder You and your family seem to have quite the sever case. I will have to direct you to our founder and fearless leader @Marjory Wildcraft as Plant Lovers Anonymous is secretly a synonym for The Grow Network (sshh don't tell anyone, ok). She may be able to help you out with a group discount πŸ˜‚ (if she does don't forget to bring your other family members/ friends to the support group πŸ˜‰).

@Michelle D We have all been there! The key is to pick a good sponsor and any of the Moderators would be wonderful (also this ad is brought you by TGN and Marjory's new book The Grow System (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the joke within a joke 🀣))

@karenjanicki Thank you! I thought about this for a good week before I posted it. I am glad you all find it as funny as I do!πŸ˜€

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cornelius Hey, I have that book!

• shllnzl

@Cornelius Neither plant will grow outdoors here. We can get high temps above 115 degrees F and low temps of 20 degrees F. Our humidity averages around 10 percent. I have literally cooked my small outdoor potted plants even when they sit in the shade. I may try a moringa tree in the house, but inside I don't have enough sunshine; that is bad for plants, good for keeping the house cooler.

I am adding additional grow lamps. Pet water dishes act like humidifiers.

We don't eat in our dining room -- it is a plant growing area unless we have house guests, then I clear the table temporarily.

I am trying to use the plants to decorate my sunnier rooms and donating little cute items that used to be decoration.

• Lisa K

@Cornelius very true on both points 😊

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@shllnzl I live in Phoenix with similar temperatures and I have 2 moringa trees going. I have seeds if you would like to try to grow some. My first few years was a huge learning curve on when to harvest the beans to be edible. If you would like some seeds just shoot me a pm with your address and I will get them out when I can. I do work a lot between the job that pays the bills and my house/yard chores lol

@Cornelius Into am a pant & seed addict. I don’t even want to guess at how many seeds or plants I have. I have been told I don’t need anymore then hubby comes back from the store with potted flowers for me. He truly is my enabler.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited July 2021

@Michelle D & @gardneto76 You have enablers! 😬 You are treading in dangerous waters. They exist in the bird world too, you know. 😍

Uh, @Cornelius You really think we're stable enough not to encourage more? I already have an issue in the bird world as you all know and in the indoor plant world, and with unique plants outdoors, shrubs, trees, vegetables, fruit, herbs and now weeds of all things...I am afraid that it won't stop.

@shllnzl Our house is bright to the south, but you bet that I have every window full of green! What can't take direct light lines all types of other spaces!

More would be nice...

• shllnzl

Okay, I have a further confession: I have a collection of potted plants that live outdoors during summer and overnight in my garage during winter -- I will start another thread to seek help with some of them as I have to move them outside every day all winter long.

I recently rescued two almost dead night blooming cereus cacti that had been bleached out to an almost white color and then eaten by jackrabbits. These plants were cuttings that I had given away. (I am sentimentally attached to the plants because they came from my 12 foot plant at my old house and they can produce gigantic white flowers. The cuttings I moved with me froze during my first winter here.) I am attaching a picture to show how they have recovered. Unfortunately, they too will be moved upstairs to the garage for winter safekeeping. Their thorns aren't too bad, but the plant height will force me to keep them in a different part of my yard next summer.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought three rose bushes today.

And I decided I needed cockscomb seeds since they are edible. Seeds have been put away. I may have to order them. Then that means you have to buy enough seeds to get free shipping. it never ends...

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I'm not a plant-aholic... at least not in general terms. The burdock... I have NO problem cutting it. same with the buckthorn. and don't even get me STARTED about the Canadian Thistle. (I would like to send those illegal immigrants back to Canada, thank you!).

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

@Paradox Whoa, Whoa! Now now, calm down & think this through...don't you dare send them here. Overreacting a bit aren't you? πŸ˜‰ Let's just send those all somewhere else. πŸ€” I could send tansy with it too...just sayin'. πŸ˜†

I think that I actually may have finally beaten the tansy, after over 15 years. I dug up only 3 plants and none were to be found in some of the heavily infested random areas of the past. I will check those areas again later this summer & next year to know for sure. If I beat it, I will certainly celebrate!

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

ok.... @LaurieLovesLearning maybe you can settle something for me... The stereotype in the US is that all Canadians are nice (Justin Bieber excepted).. so I figured perhaps Canada had some Black Magic/Dorian Gray transference thing going on where all of their negative emotions were channeled into the Thistle and Canadian Geese and sent over the border into the US. What say you?? Please remember you are under oath. :P

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

@Paradox Haha...Justin Bieber...

Well, many of us are nice, but of course there are always exceptions.

Hmm...under oath. What oath, may I ask? Oh well, I hear no answer at the moment. Well now, let's see. I need to do some critical thinking. After all, this is a critical subject that we are dealing with that demands an answer.

I don't mind the geese, but they cause great problems in the city. I think you are experiencing the big city angst from the city geese when they go south. That and they might just be a bit ticked at the hunters here and loss of some buddies & family members and take it out on you all?

The thistle, well, nobody likes that. It was supposed to skip the US, I believe and make its way down to Antarctica, but some sort of interference must have happened. Maybe the geese have something to do with that? You might just have to ask them when they head south again. I can't. We have so little water that I haven't seen wild geese here since early spring.

• Cornelius

I have an update: I have been plant free for a whole 24 hours.... Oh, wait...never mind.... spoke too soon. πŸ˜‚

@gardneto76 I agree that he is definitely an enabler (and your soul mate πŸ˜‚).

@shllnzl Don't feel bad. I have plants I put outside in the summer and then bring them in over the winter. Although I imagine moving them in and out everyday takes a lot of energy. How many of them are there? (This is definitely a labor of love πŸ˜€).

@Monek Marie That's awesome! Careful when ordering as it is definitely a slipper slope that only leads to a bigger order than you intended (although it makes it so much more exciting for when it comes in πŸ˜‰).

@Paradox Perhaps the Canadian geese spread them for revenge against hunters?

@LaurieLovesLearning It appears that the Canadian geese master plan is working. Also congrats on wiping out the Tansy weed!

• shllnzl

@Cornelius I have the three large aloe vera pots, the two cacti and now a small succulent that did not do well planted in the ground. I hope to make time to harvest and empty at least one aloe pot.

It is a lot of work moving the large pots outside during winter days. Extra cold days, they stay in the garage. Otherwise, in winter I keep them just inside the rolling garage door and move them just outside the rolling door during the day.

The cacti are going to get summer spots somewhere in my front yard next year to avoid moving them long distances with the height and spine problems. Somehow I will have to keep the roots from cooking in the afternoon sun.

Another symptom of plant-aholism: I find myself admiring the three inch long spines on one of my native cacti, simultaneously giving thanks that I had transplanted it when it was much smaller.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl does your cacti produce any fruit? I have one here that is similar looking. I believe someone told me it was a Monstrose Apple cacti and it produces an edible fruit under the flower. It has been a few years since mine has done that, which I think is due to lack of water. I have tried to take cutting but none have survived.

• shllnzl

@gardneto76 No, it doesn't produce any edible fruit, but the flowers are amazing.