Welcome to the Old-Fashioned Story Hour 📻

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
edited July 2021 in Old-Fashioned Story Hour

We want to hear your stories, in your own words. We know that we have great story telling members on TGN that are hiding in their beautiful gardens or in lush forests!

Considering, we are making a dedicated space available on our forum to build an audio collection of our member's unique stories from around the world. Our aim is to recreate an old-fashioned story hour, filled with character, somewhat reminiscent of the old radio shows.

In this space, you will find a tutorial about how to create a podcast* (if this is how you wish to proceed), helpful guidelines to keep in mind as you create your own story space, as well as a few notes for the listener.

*If you are aware of any other ways to create audio that doesn't involve creating a podcast & that can be directly posted in our forum please pm me, @LaurieLovesLearning. We want to make this process as easy as possible to encourage participation. 😄

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

A FEW STORY GUIDELINES:

1. We need to keep the stories clean & wholesome. Family friendly stories are important because we want to be able to share these with our friends, family, children & grandchildren.

2. The stories can be about anything that you want to share. Happy, sad, embarrassing, exciting, unique, adventuresome, about your exploration of our wonderful earth, your farm animal adventures, etc. We would love to have variety!

3. Be mindful of distracting background noise when recording.

4. Make sure your title is short, is interesting, and accurately reflects the content of your story.

5. It would help the readership of TGN grow if you could briefly mention at the start that "This story is a part of a project inspired by The Grow Network dot com." Then invite your listeners to pop by the website & forum if they wish to know more about our online "homegrown food on every table" community.

6. Length should be kept to a maximum of 10-15 minutes. If it's shorter it is still welcome! If you feel that your story is too long & is suspenseful & you want to leave your audience hanging until part 2, that would be great! Just make sure that you label part 1 & part 2.

7. When posting a link on the forum to your story, please post it as a New Discussion. Also, give a short introduction or type out the first sentence or so to capture the reader's interest. Use appropriate tags under your story post so that it is easy to find later on.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

LISTENER NOTES:

1. If you wish to get a notification for a new post/story in our Old- Fashioned Story Hour, you should be able to set your notifications in your profile to reflect how you want them delivered.

2. We will can chat about the stories elsewhere & keep the space strictly for the podcasts, closing each to comments after they are posted. This keeps things clean & tidy.

Make a cup of herbal tea, pop some popcorn, sit back after your hard day & enjoy!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

PODCAST TUTORIAL SUMMARY (content courtesy of @judsoncarroll4):

The main thing is just to do it. You'll get the hang of it.

1. Pick a topic or theme.

2. Pick a podcast hosting service - this is a (usually) paid for service that stores your recorded podcasts online and allows others to download them. They make your podcast available on Apple Itunes, Amazon, Google, IHeartRadio, etc. This is essential, as that is how most people listen to podcasts.

a) SoundCloud is free for the first few episodes. https://m.soundcloud.com

b) Spreaker has low prices & a monetization option with ads that covers costs. Most hosting companies have this. If you are into tech, maybe you can host your own show. https://www.spreaker.com

3) Figure out how to record your podcast - this can be any program on your device or online that gives you decent sound quality and the ability to edit (cut out the bad stuff). I really think it is essential to be able to record without self-editing.

Then, go back and cut out what you don't like. Cut out a few sentences, words stumbled over, gaps, pauses and "um's" from each show. A 40 minute episode often ends up being 30 minutes or so, after the cuts.

You can use a smartphone, a laptop or other device. High tech equipment, fancy, studio quality microphones, mixers are nice, but buying the equipment is worth it only if the revenue justifies it.

4) Record an intro (and optional out-ro) - this should represent your theme or brand. A bit of music and some voice over works well, just be sure you are not violating copyright with the music. Original music or a short sample of a copywritten tune is usually best. I just recorded about a minute and a half of my own version of an old instrumental, then recorded the voice over. For an example of what I've done, you can find links to my podcasts posted on the forum or a direct link can be found here:

https://www.spreaker.com/show/southern-appalachian-herbs

5) Promotion - find the most effective, least obnoxious ways to tell folks about your podcast. It should always feel like sharing something with friends. Be aware that even your friends may flag your content as spam.

6) Next steps -

a) Quality and consistency is the most important.

b) Get a good microphone, do branding, advertising, etc.

c) Develop trust with your audience. Give them the content you promised regularly and consistently, even if it is not perfect. Remember this advice: "The audience is here to have a good time. They are rooting for you. They want you to succeed. You are on the same team!"

7) Ignore the "bad apples" - there will always be a few, but honest, constructive criticism should be listened to. Remember that the "bad apples" are not your target audience. Do not engage with them in any way.

8) Don't over-think - you may need to loosely script the first few, but a loose outline will be the most you need once you've done a few.

9) Do interviews - it is certainly more interesting to listen to two interesting people than one.

**To see my full post on creating a podcast, take a peek here:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/901415#Comment_901415

***If you want advice on how to build a larger audience, or if you have any questions, ask below & don't forget to tag me @judsoncarroll4!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2021

A COUPLE FINAL NOTES:

1. Please post questions & comments that relate to anything written above in this thread only.

2. Please post each story as a separate new discussion topic (with tags!). 😉

Thank you and most importantly, HAVE FUN! 😄

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thinking on this a bit more...would it be possible for someone to just do a YouTube/Rumble/other medium to record a story? Nobody would have to go through all of the extra work & expense to do a podcast this way.

We could either see a nice still picture of your choice (maybe of the story setting) or live landscape video as you tell the story, or see you actually telling the story from your home, or you could just place the camera down so it shows nothing but black & just records the audio. If someone is so talented, a few simple accompanying illustrations would most likely be welcomed. Just a few ideas to get this going!

Posting the link in this subcategory could then be done just like what was done in the growing our own food contest.

@Merin Porter Are you able to find those instructions on the how to and post them here for us? I think that this might be the easiest and best way for us to hear the community members' stories.

Comments? I still think this could be fun and it shouldn't be complicated!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

Sure, I'll try to put something together tomorrow or Saturday... meant to do it before now, but got busy with other things.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Wow, thanks for being willing to do this @judsoncarroll4!

Its funny how life gets so busy. I am torn between if that is a good or bad thing some days.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

So excited to see what you come up with @judsoncarroll4!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@judsoncarroll4 So, I saw on Permies (in an email...I rarely go onto the site, actually) that they are talking about using member done mp3s as ads. This should work for stories too, I would think? I would have no idea how to go about that nor uploading it to here. Is that an option?

I want this to be as easy and painless as possible or so everybody who wants to can contribute to a (hopefully) growing library of audio stories.

• judsoncarroll4

It think that could work. There is the attach file option (the little paperclip) at the bottom, left when we post a topic or comment.

• judsoncarroll4

See if this will work - if it does, we can move it to the right place, put a title on it etc. To upload an audio file, it seems to have to be done as a zip file. So, here are two zip, onw wav and one mp3. THe only other option I can think of would be to do a video, hosted on youtube, rumble, etc

• LaurieLovesLearning

I could open both through the YouTube Music app.

So how do you go about making these? Those of us that are limited in our computer skills will need a bit of help.

As an additional option, a video through YouTube, Rumble, etc. would certainly work.

• judsoncarroll4

I use wave pad, which is a free program, but there are tons of other recording programs that come pre-installed on most devices.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I think audacity would also work for this (I used it for a class 2 years ago and it has some great editing capability). In addition, @LaurieLovesLearning, @Marjory Wildcraft, and/or @judsoncarroll4 you could make a recording of "This stories are brought to you by the grow network..." and then have people download and edit it into their recording so that way it always starts off with the same voice. What do you think? You could also get some volunteers and have them edit the recordings (for audacity you would take the pre-recording listed above put that in first and then put the story recording and then click merge to make it one continuous recording and then export as a mp3 (if memory serves)).

• LaurieLovesLearning

This sounds good, @Cornelius. Is it very easy to use? Is there a cost? I want this sort of thing to be pretty flexible to encourage our story tellers to easily be able to share with no hoops or hurdles.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Audacity is free and I found it pretty easy to use (although I had a tech help desk at my school so I might be a little bias 😂). For the purposes that TGN would need it would just be used to merge audio together and maybe splice out unwanted audio (there are more advanced features like removing unwanted background noise, etc. but that wouldn't be required to use).

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came across this while exploring. Would love to listen to some of the stories.

@LaurieLovesLearning did this project ever get going? If so what was the category for it?

• LaurieLovesLearning

@vickeym No, it never got off the ground, sad to say. We had two great storytellers at the time, MonekMarie & Judson, who I was trying to make a space for.

I think hearing them tell their stories would have been even more fun than just reading them.

I wanted this to be the place to access the link(s) for the stories.

• judsoncarroll4

I did a couple... if I have time I'll do some more. I am doing 3 podcasts now, writing books and writing for a magazine... it is hard to find time in a day for much extra.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks you for trying to get this going. Sounds like it would have been quite enjoyable and informative.

@judsoncarroll4 I read and listen to a lot of your work. Appreciate all you share with us, to help us all learn more.