One of those days :(
Well, the dog got & dragged a dead rooster around. It died of something that I'm not fully sure of, but I know enough that I don't want it spread to anyone else. It was quarantined.
Also this morning, one of my 2 blue copper hens was found flat in her coop, possibly smothered. They are a project of mine. Unfortunately, those hens hatched out more black than blue offspring this spring.
And...4 out of our 10 call ducklings died. I suspect that there is a deficiency of niacin in the feed. It is supposed to be a duck & goose starter, which should have it, but it isn't mentioned. We are trying to catch adults & ducklings, but it seems futile. :(
I have someone picking up niacin supplements/brewers yeast in the store, but I would not get them until tomorrow.
I will try giving fresh peas & lettuce all mushed up. Hopefully that is enough. I'm just not sure how to keep the adult ducks from it all. Maybe we will just have to make up everything we have from the garden (which wasn't much today).
I will need to tell my daughter when she takes the adults (and hopefully at least one duckling), that she should keep a form of niacin on hand in spring especially for little ones.
This Week's Leaders
- 606 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 24 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 195 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 374 Current Events & Breaking News
- 993 Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.1K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 396 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 271 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 291 The Homestead: DIY
- 833 Personal Journals
- 74 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter