hedgehog girl
hedgehog girl Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

Haystack syrup:

2 c. White sugar

1/2 c. Milk

1/2 c. Butter

1 tsp. Vanilla

2 Tbsp. Cocoa (we usually put more)

Mix all ingredients in a pot and boil for 3-4 min. Remove it from heat and add, either snack mix ingredients or haystack ingredients.

Snack mix ingredients:

8 c. Puffed wheat

3/4 c. Coconut

1 c. Walnuts

1 c. Peanuts (optional)

Mix in large bowl. Pour on haystack syrup and stir.

Haystack ingredients:

3 c. Oatmeal

1 c. Long coconut (double if short)

Mix in bowl. dump into haystack syrup, stir. Drop by teaspoon onto parchment paper, let set.

I wanted to make some puffed wheat squares one day. We don't use corn syrup, and I couldn't find a recipe, so I used our haystack recipe, it didn't work but it made a great snack mix that is made lots now! 😉😏

I just made it and we ran out of white sugar so I did it half white, half brown sugar, it tastes good but I like it better full white.

If anyone has any suggestions to try to make it healthier please say!

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the recipe @hedgehog girl

Welcome to TGN and love your name!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,641 admin

I have a recipe somewhat like this but it uses Rice Krispies instead. A favourite of my daughters when they were younger. If I can find it, I will post it.

But not as healthy as it could be cause it also has white sugar and corn syrup.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the recipes! My kids love making special treats.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

@hedgehog girl Thanks for the recipe---This sounds like a keeper!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited August 2021

@water2world It certainly is...now if I can only find where the remainder of it got hidden...

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

@hedgehog girl This recipe sounds wonderful. I will have to try this.... soon. LOL

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, I discovered where the remainder went...

I guess that I missed out!

• Torey

I found it! This is a British recipe so the oz. are by weight.

2 oz. margarine or butter

2 oz. syrup (corn syrup or golden syrup)

2 oz. icing sugar

2 Tbsp cocoa

3/4 tsp rum extract

Handful of raisins

Rice Krispees

Heat marg, syrup, sugar and cocoa till all melted and combined. Stir in rum extract. Add raisins and then stir in as much Rice Krispees as required to make a stiff dough that will stand on its own. Its been quite awhile since I made these so I can't remember exactly how much cereal it takes but I think it was around 6 cups. Drop into ball shapes in muffin papers and let set up.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey I think that an aunt of mine made something similar, but without the raisins, and formed them into cups using a muffin tin. Then she scooped vanilla ice cream into each.

I don't remember if she put a topping on them before she froze them or if that was added afterward. I think this, topped with hemp seed or nuts of choice would make wonderful and fast prepared sundae-like dessert. I know that we enjoyed the version that my aunt made.

• Torey

Oh, that sounds good, turning them into little ice cream cakes! Nuts would be good on top. And then drizzled with more chocolate sauce! Just because I am such a chocoholic.

I might have to go to the store and get a box of Rice Krispees.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Theses recipes sound amazing. Reminds me of the Chex mix and muddy buddies we used to make as a kid.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@gardneto76 Similar yet different. I hadn't had those until I went south. We had a cereal called Shreddies, but Chex was a bit different and the one used for those recipes.

Both of the snack mixes that you mentioned are tasty.

This Week's Leaders