TOE Jam & Other Unusual Jams & Jellies

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Lots of good suggestions here. I have had bacon jam in the past (I didn't make it) and it was very good. I made carrot jam once but didn't care for it that much.

I am going to try out the TOE jam! I will wait, though, until January/February when the marmalade oranges come into season. I'll make sure I have some dried elderberries on hand for this. I'll bet its a gorgeous colour.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh WOW! These sound very interesting. I made a banana nut bread jam once. Thought it sounded great and I had access to a lot of over ripe bananas. So, I made a big batch. It was bitter and we hated it. lol But I love experimenting. So this will be fun. Thank you for sharing.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Now I see what toe jelly is. T.O.E. My favorite to make is orange marmalade, using oranges, of course, and sometimes, grapefruit, and lemon. I made 4 batches, using 3 different recipes. I was desperate after buying one jar in the store that was pitifully bland. I also made blueberry jam, but I don't like the texture of it. I made strawberry jam that was wonderful. None of these are rare although blueberry jam with lime comes close. It was so strong that I made a batch without the lime and then combnined the two to make it more palatable. Hope that I can make elderberry in a year or two as well as blackberry, when those bushes yield enough.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the title my first thought was - Yuck! Reminded me of my daughter's smelly feet! 🤣🤣

Seriously though there are some really good ideas. I would like to make bacon jam. Someone gave me a huge amount of figs and I thought about making fig jam but I'd already made 32 jars of blueberry jam. My husband kept asking where I was going to put the fig jam. 😀 I do have an entire shelf of blueberry jam for Christmas gifts and some to eat. I ended up making fig cake which was really good and moist, dehydrating a lot, and freezing some.

I bet I could talk him into bacon jam though because we get bacon jam burgers at a local restaurant sometimes.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

The name TOE jam is a bit of a turnoff 😂. But the product itself actually sounds very good. Maybe I'll have to try some of these.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin
    edited August 2021

@karenjanicki That's why I thought it could make a unique Christmas gift. Haha

@kbmbillups1 😁

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin
    edited August 2021

Have y'all gotten into aspic? I really enjoy it. Most times now, it is made with unflavored jello gelatin. We usually make a tomato aspic and a cucumber aspic in hot weather. Traditionally though, it was made with pig feet or calf's hooves boiled down to extract the gelatin. The old recipes can be pretty funky, by I've not tried one yet that was not delicious... "head cheese" or brawn can still be found in some very rural areas and upscale restaurants. All it takes is scalding and scraping a pig's head and boiling it down, usually with onions, salt, pepper, vinegar, etc. When all the bones are removed and the water has evaporated, you are left with a meat jelly that is MIGHTY GOOD! Every family used to have their own recipe. My grandmother would not eat her mother in law's head cheese, because she left the eyes in.... Oh, but as for the article.... I'm not buying the whole "poor folks in Appalachia bit. Sure, we hillbillies make some odd food. But, tangerines, bananas, Irish stout, etc didn't make it back into the hills until the late 70s. Seriously, there is the old joke about the mountain boys on a train for the first time, having been drafted. One takes a bite of the fist banana he has ever seen just as the train goes into a tunnel... "Don't eat them nanners, they'll make you go stone blind!"