Seasonal eating

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feed quite a few articles to the media assistant for the CSA that I have a subscription to.

These are two that I just sent her on Seasonal Eating. Thought some of you might be interested.

This second one includes lots of charts. Plus information regarding seasonal eating from Chinese Traditional Medicine and Native American.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Very nice. Thank you!~

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like this type of eating, in fact I have an ayurvedic cookbook that is done seasonal foods as well as Doshas.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@RustBeltCowgirl Great articles but It's a shame that most people need to have the charts and additional info.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Very good articles--they pull a lot of solid, useful information together. The recipes in the first article look like they are certainly worth trying. I forwarded both articles on to a friend who is just beginning to think about such things. I think they are perfect to encourage a person thinking about it to actually start eating seasonally.

My one pet peeve--though it might have more to do with the local market than with articles like these--is the routine assertion that buying at farmers' markets, local fruit stands and such is cheaper than the grocery store. One of these articles even cites a couple of studies to that effect. Well they certainly didn't study the farmers' markets around here! Prices for fresh produce can be as much as double the grocery store prices, baked goods often triple. You buy because you know it's fresh, organic, and supporting local small farmers (although you have to be careful there too, and know your seller to be sure they are not just trucking in the produce from another state.) Growing your own is still the best option....

Don't mean to detract from these good articles, both really useful. But that is one small point that just really bugs me.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand perfectly. As I keep telling people, know your prices. Just because a sale is going on doesn't mean that you're getting a better price. For example, going out of business sales.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

@MaryRowe I'm surprised to hear that your local produce is so expensive. I would expect prices to be comparable to grocery stores. Perhaps this is one of those things that varies from region to region.

Are you comparing prices against organic produce in the store? It's not fair to compare organically grown local produce to conventional store produce.

On the other hand, I am not surprised that baked goods or jams are more expensive locally. You are paying for an artisanal, hand-made product, and that will get a premium price.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@VermontCathy What bugs me so much (or maybe just makes me jealous of other places where it might be true....😒) are the assertions you often see in articles that you can save so much money, find so many bargains, etc. etc. at farmers' markets, or the flat assertion that farmers' markets are cheaper than the grocery store. None of that is true in this area. Prices in the local farmers' markets are so high that folks with limited income just can't afford to shop there. (Last time I was at the one nearest me, I saw a woman trying to sell the larger-size muffins for $5 each; very similar muffins, made from scratch in the little bakery/coffee shop in town, sell for $2, and most folks consider those pricey special treats.)

Part of it is that the grocery stores around here carry very little organic produce--either too many people won't pay the price or store managers assume they won't, or they just can't get it in, I don't know which. But when you can find organic produce at the grocery store, it will still be at least 20% to 30% cheaper than the farmers' markets.

We also had a series of scandals last year, where sellers were caught selling produce for premium prices that they claimed came from their farm and was organic, but turned out to be just regular non-organic they trucked in from out of state. Some farmers' markets have tightened up their rules and enforcement as a result, some haven't.

Part of it is that we are day-trip distance from Kansas City, near a popular state park and a couple other attractions that draw city folk out on the weekends. Local farmers' markets have done a lot of aggressive marketing to draw the city folk in, and sellers keep raising their prices and claims about their wares accordingly.

All in all, it's a complicated issue, and you can't take anything much at face value.....

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

You definitely want to avoid the places that are trying to sell to the city folk. Even if these vendors are completely honest about what they are selling, they'll charge premium prices to the visitors, many of whom have more money than local people.

It sounds to me like your farmers markets aren't aimed at repeat business from local buyers at all. They are doing a business model more like selling novelties to tourists, with the novelties just happening to be food.

You might try driving one or two towns farther from the city to see if you can get out of range of the tourists. Maybe you can find a farm or market that makes its living from repeat sales to locals.

When in doubt, grow your own. :-)