A wonderful chicken pie

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited August 2021 in Baking

Last night I cooked a baked chicken dinner. Plenty of chicken leftover, what to do for tonight’s dinner. I made Chicken Shawarma Pie, fresh garden salad and pickled radish. The pie recipe came from a wonderful middle eastern cookbook Falastin. I used puff pastry as I didn’t have filo but it still turned out pretty good, Filo would be best. The flavour was awesome, you don’t necessarily need to make it into a pie, just the filling makes a nice stew and you could swap the chicken for fish or even cauliflower etc. I also added spinach and broccoli, just because I harvested today. I think you should give this one a try.

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used my leftover chicken in a variation of Shephard's pie. First run had been regular chicken that I had cooked in the Instant Pot with Cream of Broccoli soup. 2nd meal was the shredded leftover chicken and juice with a can of mixed veggies added with a layer of shredded cheese, then add the layer of mashed potatoes.

Had enough to put a full meal helping in the freezer for later and a container to take for my lunch.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great ideas,. TY

Chicken is a staple here. I was just thinking ther other day I had to come up with more creative ways to use it, and easy and healthy at ther same time.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the recipes sound really yummy. I use chicken as a mainstay also.

• JodieDownUnder

@dipat2005 that pie was made in a 23cm springform cake tin. It fed us 3 nights in a row, large servings! Just got to thinking, I paid $6.50 for a free range organic chicken,(on special) that fed us for 4 nights! Cheap and healthy eating. We don’t eat that much chicken and I only buy organic and free range but that was a great outcome. The base flavours for that pie are outstanding.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with dipat2005.

These recipes are some that I definitely want to try! Thanks for sharing!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Love pot pie... love shawarma sounds great!

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

shawarma in a pie - I have never thought of that!

I love the design on the top of your pie. Very creative.

I love to make turkey pot pie after thanksgiving. I admit my favorite part is the crust!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@monica197 my favorite part is the crust too. I love the other ingredients too.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good! I might try it as a shepherd's pie with mashed potatoes instead of filo.

• JodieDownUnder

@Tave I’ve heard some people use either sliced potato or sweet potato or even cauliflower as the “pastry” instead of the filo. Eggplant would also work!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

These recipes sounds wonderful. Chicken is one of our main meats here. We raise our own and have a large number of layers as well. So I am always looking for good ways to serve it. And also for ways to add more spices and herbs into our diet as well.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder That pie looks so good!

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder , that looks and sounds so good. I can't wait to butcher another chicken now. We normally have it baked/ roasted in the instant pot then I use the bones and skin for bone broth. Next time I'll choose a really big chicken and we can get our first meal, then a pie, and then bone broth soup. Yay! Thank you!