Uses for peach peels

I'm ordering a half bushel of peaches from my CSA and have a certain amount of dismay over the amount of peach peels that would go to waste after canning. So, out to my good friend Internet to see what it has to suggest. Found this:

Her son was canning peaches and wanted to see if there was a use for leftovers.

Nice to know that I can make peach jelly, as well as jam from my purchase.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I am making peach jam today and had planned on making jelly too. I use the leftovers for jelly.

Often times when using the leftover peaches parts I add a herb or another fruit juice just to spice it up a bit

Nice article @RustBeltCowgirl TY. I love the peach ice cubes!~

• Granny Marie
    Granny Marie Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

If making jam, I just grind the peals with the pulp in the Ninja blender.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the idea for the peach tea from the pits. I'm going to have to do that!

Thanks @RustBeltCowgirl !

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

The peels can also be boiled with water and sugar to make the base for a peach cider.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some good ideas but I would be lazy after all that work canning and give the peels to my worms.

• Michelle D

@kbmbillups1 worm food is also a great use for peach peels. I would definitely not call that lazy.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

The article was great. Thanks for sharing. I was also thinking of peach juice to drink. That is just me being lazy.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Great article. My grandma always canned the peaches my dad raised. Loved them. She put in far less sugar than is usual. Just a light syrup. I was the one who "got to" peal the peaches. The peals just went in the compost. Kind of wish she had known about peach peal jelly. That sure sounds good.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking peach marmalade. That sounds delicious 😋

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,513 admin

I fed ours to the pigs. They need treats too.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing - I will start saving the pits now - I love having a use for things.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love breaking open the peach pits and eating them like almonds. Same for apricot pits. They are slightly toxic for some people, but I've never had a problem. They also make a good "almond" extract.

• Michelle D

@monica197 do you ever give the peach peels to your rabbits?

• monica197
    edited August 2021

@Michelle D Yes, I have. They love them. But because I don't do it all of the time, I am careful with the amount otherwise I get runny poops! Another peel I give them that they love - that has a bit more fiber in it to guard against runny poops - is kiwi peel. They love it!!

I am just thinking about that comment...THEY get runny poops....Not ME! LOL 🐇

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Loved this article---had NEVER crossed my mind! Can't wait to try (especially the ice cubes)!

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

The only area that I'd worry about would be if they weren't organic peaches. There could be a hefty dose of pesticides and other stuff on/in the peels..

• monica197

I have been using a peach in morning chlorophyl drink and yesterday I brewed up some peach pit with some green tea with a sprinkle of stevia. I let it sit overnight. I had some this morning - YUM.

• monica197
  • Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I harvested my peaches right before the groundhogs/opossum/deer came for dessert (I leave them the ones I don't want). Sometimes I win the race, sometimes I don't.

After preparing my harvest for canning/freezing I cook the peels and pits and make jelly/jams and syrup. I use the frozen peaches to make ice cream and the syrup is drizzled on top! It can also be added to teas if you like peach flavoring in your tea. (I don't but my daughter does!) When I have extracted as much goodness as possible, the resulting mash (and pits) goes out to a wood pile to feed the critters.

This Week's Leaders