Strawberries oh my!

The food bank that shares a parking lot with the company where my husband works had 80lbs of ripe strawberries left when they closed today that they couldn't keep! They asked to dispose of them in dumpster belonging to my husband's company. Long story short after giving some to friends on the way home I now have 60lbs of strawberries to preserve quickly. What a blessing! Now I need your help. Anyone have any great recipes I should try? I'm sure that I will make jam, a few baked goods, freeze some, dry some, can some, and of course eat some fresh. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Michelle D I have been admiring this recipe for when I have enough strawberries to harvest! The other morning I made pancakes with a strawberry sauce. Got some strawberries out of the freezer, put them in a saucepan with a dash of water and a dollop of honey. Cooked them down, squished a bit with a potato masher, not too much and at the end added a spoonful of chopped pickled ginger. Got to say was pretty yummy. You could do a great big pot of that and freeze into blocks for whatever you fancy in the freezer. Maybe have a crack at strawberry ice cream.

Got to say, I’m surprised the food bank wanted to dump the strawberries like that, has to be a better policy. Anyway cheers to you and your husband. Maybe he needs to mention to the food bank to let him know whenever there’s a glut!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder Thank you. I didn't think about ice cream. I have the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid that I haven't had a chance to try out yet. I'll have to try to squeeze some room in the freezer. That thing is huge! I have a pie recipe similar to that one that I have made in the past. It wasn't very popular with my family for some reason. Although, my dad loved it when he was with us. Also, I definitely told my husband to make sure that they know at the food bank to send stuff this way. I hate seeing food wasted. Skip the dumpster put it in the back of the car!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Lucky you @Michelle D. But that's a lot of strawberries.

Strawberry shrub!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I freeze boatloads of whole berries when I have more fruit than time. That way, it's super fast and I can always make something later.

Dehydrated berries or fruit leather would be great! I also just put the berries in a blender and freeze in ice cube trays or bags. It's also easy to let it simmer into a nice sauce and freeze it, too.

Good luck!

• Michelle D

@torey I had to look up Strawberry Shrub. All the recipes I see have apple cider vinegar. Do you know if there could be a substitute for that? I'm allergic to apples 😢.

@frogvalley I just finished loading 10 pounds of them into my dehydrator. Freezing them is such a great solution. I'm not sure how much I can do that right now. Freezer space is a hot commodity around here this time of year.

I was able to give away another 8 pounds of them 😁

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@Michelle D You could easily use another vinegar. I've made it with white wine vinegar and also with rice vinegar.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a windfall! To think about all that food being thrown away. Good luck getting it all used.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good on your husband for sharing and bringing them home! Here's a favorite of mine.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Good for you @Michelle D! Strawberry shortcake of course :) Strawberry crisp. Here is a recipe I found online. It looks really good!

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Holy Smoke! I am so glad to hear that they are not going to waste.

I second the strawberry pretzel salad

Do you have a dehydrator? if so, you might consider slicing them and dehydrating - they will be shelf stable like that for a long time and take up so much less space than the canning of them.

• Michelle D

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri that looks like fun! Sweet and salty go well together.

@COWLOVINGIRL I think I saw that recipe online awhile back. I remember thinking that my kids would love it. I don't remember why I didn't make it then. Either way, I printed it this time. It says healthy so that means I can make them for breakfast tomorrow right? 😉

@monica197 I do have a dehydrator. I dried about 10 pounds of them so far. I'm trying to decide if I want to dry more. I do love how well they store and last when they are dried.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
  • VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely freeze them in the short term and figure out what to do with them afterward. Most types of fruit preservation will be fine after a freeze and thaw cycle.

• monica197

I bet your house smells AWESOME!!!! @Michelle D

• Michelle D

@monica197 I was just thinking that the amazing smell would probably be gone tomorrow. I have the last of the strawberries in the canner (jam) and dehydrator right now. It has been fun but I will be glad to have a break from strawberries.

I got to try all the recipes everyone suggested (and a few I found online) except for 2 of the them, but I plan to try them next week with some of the berries that made it to the freezer. My husband says that I have to give some attention to his lack of jerky after the strawberries are done.

Thank you all so much!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D. Oh my— I think strawberries are good any way you fix them! 60lbs—my oh my!

• monica197

@Michelle D you are going to be so thankful come January!!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Michelle D I picked quite a few strawberries on the weekend.I didn’t have a lot of time, so wanted something quick, easy and yummy. I washed them, sprinkled just a little sugar over them and some balsamic glaze and baked them for 30 mins. They’ve been great, served on ice cream and on oatmeal. Yummo!