Cherry Tomato Jam

Torey
Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

The other day I was gifted a box of cherry tomatoes. Red & orange ones. But far too many to use before they would all go bad.

So, Cherry Tomato Jam. I had heard of tomato jam before but had never had it or made it. I did some googling for recipes and then made up my own based on what I had at hand.

Here is what I came up with. Its quite delicious. Great way to use up the bounty of the harvest.

Cherry Tomato Jam

5 lbs cherry tomatoes

1 large head of garlic, crushed or finely minced (this was only 4 cloves but they were so big I had to cut them in half and one in quarters to get them into my crusher)

1 medium jalapeño, finely diced

¾ cup ACV + ¼ cup water

½ cup (scant) palm sugar

1 tsp pickling salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

½ stick of cinnamon

1 tsp each of dried thyme & basil

Put everything in a pot, except the thyme and basil. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer covered for about half an hour. Remove the lid and continue cooking until reduced and thick, stirring more frequently as it gets thicker. (It will not set like a traditional jam but will be thicker than ketchup) Add the thyme and basil during the last few minutes of cooking. Remove the cinnamon.

Pour into jars, seal and put in a water bath canner for 15 minutes.

Yield: 5 - ½ pint jars.

Tagged:

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made this for the first time maybe 10 years ago. My family stuck their nose in the air when I brought it out for a holiday. That is, until they tried it! Now its requested at any holiday event and any time I have extra.

It is fantastic with meat. Great on toast, just a fun jam or jelly to have.

Thanks for sharing@torey

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey I had never heard of tomato jam. This recipe sounds amazing. My cherry tomatoes will be ready to harvest in a few days. Perfect timing 😁

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey that sounds like a very tasty recipe. At the general store we had, 2 of our biggest sellers were Green Chilli Jam & Onion Jam. People think of jam as a sweet spread for toast etc. There’s a whole new world of jams out there. This is what I understand; Jam- fruit & or vegetable preserved in sugar. Chutney- vegetable & or some fruit, preserved in sugar & vinegar, with a softer consistency. Relish- similar to chutney but no fruit. Pickles- whole or large, mainly vegetables. Different countries have different versions. I will give your recipe a crack, when my tomatoes start producing, I’ve only just planted some seedlings this week.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

Another thing I do with an overabundance of cherry tomatoes is turn them into sundried tomatoes in the dehydrator. They are delicious and keep really well.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@torey thank you very much for this interesting recipe. I am returning back home after 10 days holiday and I am sure that I will find more than enough tomatoes in my greenhouse. This I have to try out. Looking forward to!!!

@annbeck62 I have also sun dried tomatoes. With some salt. They are a beautiful snack!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey I have never heard of tomato jam. It sure sounds interesting. Will have to try some next time I have any quantity of fresh tomatoes. Thank you for sharing it.