Conditioning dehydrated fruit

Our freezers are filling up fast, so I put the latest picking of raspberries into my new dehydrator and they dried well. Yet, I would have lost half of them if I hadn't bothered to condition them. https://www.thepurposefulpantry.com/do-you-need-to-condition-dehydrated-food/

So, here's a reminder: If you dry fruit, don't forget this step!

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I don't do much dehydrating, but had never heard of this. Thank you for sharing.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate I have never heard of conditioning the fruit. I check every single piece of dehydrated fruit or vegies to make sure it is dried. I see the reasoning behind it though. I have never had mold in dehydrated anything.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym You are welcome!

@dipat2005 I thought I had checked the raspberries quite well, but as I was doing 1.5 gallons I must have missed a few that had been extra juicy. Most of them were actually crunchy, but the few juicy ones could have spoiled it all. I am so glad I read this article!

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh! She does not mention using a moisture inhibitor (desiccant) pack like clay. I wonder if that would suffice.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use my dehydrator a lot. I have never had an issue with foods molding, but the what if has always been in the back of my mind. I usually would shake my jars every so often after drying just to look over everything to make sure there was no spoiling. I didn't realize I might have been helping. This is good to know.