More bits for my ever growing collection.

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I’m always looking out for handy bits and pieces to add to my growing collection of gardening things. Wether it be recycled, new or home made. Last year I found a great Aussie seed supplier, The Seed Collection and in their new spring catalogue found some new products I thought would come in handy. In the past I’ve recycled clear plastic bottles as protectors for young plants but they are difficult to keep in place. So I lashed out and bought some new cloches that have a lip with 3 holes so you can anchor to the ground and 2 holes on top that you can open or close. The other very handy product I bought was pre fab metal angles that are great for making supports using hardwood garden stakes.

Spring has sprung “down under” and its a really inspiring time.

The cloches in this photo are protecting eggplant seedlings from tiny black beetles obliterating them. The hardwood frame now has chicken wire to support climbing beans and the frame will support the Roma tomatoes. The black metal angles make the hardwood stake frame very solid.

Comments

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder Thanks for including the picture. I can see how it all works together. BTW, I love how you have done this!!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Thanks for sharing, Jodie. Pictures are always good!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder I love the pictures. I am curious about the netting over the top. What kind of predators do you have other than beetles.? Close to where I live in Oregon are forested areas with Deer.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much for sharing this @JodieDownUnder! Your garden is beautiful!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@dipat2005 the whole vegetable garden is netted to stop birds(currawongs in particular, destructive), marsupial mice(antechinus & bigger than mice) wallabies(swamp & popular here), bandicoots(lots of them & they dig holes) & possums (ringtails, hungry). It was the only ethical solution to a huge problem. Otherwise I would have no vegetable garden. Our house, lawn and garden is basically the only cleared space, smack bang in the middle of 180 acres of bush. Our bush is a wildlife refuge, so lots of critters out there and close to us.

Enclosed are photos in the order mentioned above.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos do help you understand especially if you're a visual learner like me. I do like those metal angles. I bet they're a great help in the garden and such.

And the critters that you're dealing with are cute. Some of the critters we're learning we have to deal with now are not cute at all. Like this one. Though we are learning more about them, from a permaculture standpoint they're very helpful.😏

Go figure that I'd actually be happy there's a skunk nearby to help with rodents, bad snakes, and bad bugs.🙄

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JodieDownUnder thanks for the explanation and the pictures. I too am a visual learner. No one wants to see or eat anything I planted this year. The exception to that may be the peas. We just got rain and lots of it. It has been raining since after the football game late Saturday night. We hadn't had rain in three and a half months except for a trace. I warned my granddaughter about braking and sure enough she hydroplaned. She is good and I fixed the tire.