The Bandy bandy snake

Yesterday I was putting mushroom compost around some of our trees and came across this little fella. The Bandy bandy or Hoop snake is a reasonably common occurrence in our area. They grow to about 20 inches and are classed as venomous. Due to the shape of their mouth, size and somewhat calm demeanour, they are not a problem. When feeling threatened they form a hoop or horseshoe shape to put off predators. I reckon most predators when they see this, scratch their head and laugh. This gives the Bandy bandy time to escape! Adults are black and white, this junior burger is brown and white. I released it back into the bush, after I took its photo. Thought you might be interested in some of the creatures in my country.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,353 admin

Oh, neat. I have had a re-occurring garter snake recently. I first found him under a pile of leaves... then, he showed up on my walk, warming on the stones in the sun. He.. or she.. does not seem pleased to see me, even though it hides under my shoe each time. I am getting used to it. The other day, down at my mother's house, I ran into a pigmy rattlesnake... that, I am not so keen on!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not fond of snakes (this wopulf fall under one of my stories. But I know they do have good purposes. I just like it when thiewr good purpose is away from me ;)

I have to admit, that is one pretty snake

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty snake, and I never heard of it before. I had to laugh at the name "Hoop snake" though, In the western U.S. you come across folk tales of a mythical hoop snake that moves by taking its tail in its mouth and rolling along like a wheel. I was reading a bit more about the bandy bandy after I first saw your post, and some of the photos online show it holding its body up in one or two tall curves in the air. In one photo the snake was in a sort of a figure 8, with both sides up in the air.

Now I wonder....many Australians crossed over to join in the big 1849 gold rush in California. I wonder if stories of the bandy bandy came with them, and that was the origin of the hoop snake stories here,,,,,

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a 2 foot long snake on our walkway to our front porch the other day. I don't know what kind it was. Once it saw us it went into the bushes and disappeared. Hoping it's gone!!! I don't like snakes either!

@MaryRowe I had to laugh at the name Hoop snake as well. I used to read to my kids every night before they went to sleep. One of the books we all loved was Elijah of Buxton. There was a hoop snake in that book and it made me laugh so hard even the second time I read the book to them. After reading about that hoop snake I wanted to see one!!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

That is one pretty snake!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I am extremely nervous around snakes. When I was a child I was fine, but the older I get the more they scare me. He is pretty though.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with you. I am not a fan of snakes though he is lovely.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,356 admin

We only have non venomous snakes in most of Canada. Rattlers do live in SW Saskatchewan and into Alberta. @torey would know if there is any in B.C.

Our oldest boy caught a smaller garter snake last week, and our oldest daughter caught a pretty nice one last week as well and had it curl up on her hand. She always loved handling snakes from when she was old enough to walk and catch them.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit snakes scare me even though they're just being snakes. I had a 5 ft long non-poisonous snake in my garage one day and we were scared of each other. I opened the door, talked to the snake and said ok, I'm going to leave now and it would be great if you were gone when I came back. Thankfully it was and hasn't returned (knock on wood).

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,502 admin

I am not a snake person. It bothers me to even look at pics of them.

@LaurieLovesLearning We have the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus) in the southern interior of BC. Its northern range is about 2 hours south of me. (thankfully) They are quite common in the dry desert/semi-desert areas.