Gifted a bucket of bugle!

Woohoo, a neighbor just dropped off a big bucket full of freshly dug bugleweed, ajuga repens, at my door! Here is an article I wrote on bugle a while back. Most people think of it as an "invasive weed" (you have to read that in a menacing tone).... and yes, it spreads if you let it. But, it is a very powerful and useful herb. https://southernappalachianherbs.blogspot.com/2021/08/trumpeting-nearly-forgotten-bugle.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading this a while ago. I was glad to hear Bugle had so many uses. Personally I love the stuff. Even as (an invasive, lol) flower it can cover those hard to deal with places and it is one of the first flowers to come out and help feed the bees. I was going to pull it once as so many of my friends were talking about it so bad until I saw it was the only plant the bees could find to feed on early in the spring.

Invasive is a somewhat complex term, I just refer to a plant with this title as a misunderstood plant or weed.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I guess it just depends on the climate you are in for ajuga to be invasive. I have some that I planted as a border edging in one of my beds. It spilled out of the bed, into the little bit of lawn in that area, but it hasn't spread beyond that. I'd be quite happy if it would spread a bit more.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

I think my neighbor thought he was pulling a joke on me by giving me an overwhelming amount... little did he know that I was thrilled to plant around 200 bugle plants!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my climate it is considered invasive but I don't care. And if yout plant it in a place is does not like as well it will not spread as much.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

The day gets better. I went to thank my neighbor and he gave me a ne front door that he didn't need. My mom's door is rusty, so that worked out well.