I got my first ducks!

Michelle D
Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a long list of things that I would like to add to the homestead that I'm trying to create. Ducks have been on the list for awhile now but not a priority. I recently found out that someone I know had a couple of drakes that he wanted to rehome. After seeking the advice of a trusted advisor or 2 I decided to take them. I'm very excited for the learning experience that it will be.

They have been rehomed a few times now. I'm told that they are probably between 2-3 years old. They have not been handled much and get nervous around people. But since they are far to large to fly I can catch them if I need to. They came to live with us a few days ago and I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy the learning curve is.

We have already had an issue with a hawk showing interest in them. I made a few adjustments to the run. That seemed to do the trick. I haven't seen the hawk since.

I'm sure that I will have questions along the way. If any of you with experience have pearls of wisdom that you would like to share, I would love to hear them.

Tagged:

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

They look handsome.

It is good that you solved the hawk issue. Keep watching, though, he or another one might be back. Vigilance is always good.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm contemplating ducks myself. So I'll be anxious to hear how it goes for you @Michelle D.

And they are very beautiful birds, like @LaurieLovesLearning said.😊

• Michelle D

@LaurieLovesLearning thank you! It has been easy to notice the hawk this time of year because we spend lots of time outside. I definitely will need to figure out a better set up for them before winter comes and I'm inside more. Which actually bring up a question. They came with a very tiny chicken coop with a small ramp up to enclosed portion. I'm told that they never go up there because they are afraid of heights. When I asked him what they do for shelter in the winter he said nothing they are fine. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm in Michigan so our winters get really harsh. I'm thinking that I need to build them something better. Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I will share what I can. So far I'm really enjoying the experience. The previous owner didn't want them anymore because they are "too much work". I guess that isn't a problem for me. I just added them to my usual route. He didn't have other animals or anything though. I have had them for 5 days now and I can tell that they already have us all figured out lol. It has been easy to learn their schedule and personalities. They are very easy birds to "read".

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Michelle D Are you able to post a picture of the coop/ramp/enclosed space? That would be helpful in troubleshooting the issues.

We never put our ducks into any special space, with the exception of the call ducks, due to their small size.

If you are concerned about insulating (if yours isn't insulated), square straw bales work very well. When we first got 6 muscovy ducklings late one fall, we used only a bale fort on the ground (I think 2 bales high & 2 bales deep and wide for the shelter), with a wood ceiling covered with more straw and something that wouldn't blow it away. We let the snow build on this. We put a large chain link gate over their run (walls of straw bales, the same size as the shelter) to protect them from flying predators. We did have 2 bald eagles checking them out at one point, and this kept them safe. We covered the run with another board which we removed on sunny days. Putting the board over helped keep snow out of the run. They did very well in that. It did make a good home for mice that were able to tunnel away from the ducks, however.

As for our other mature ducks, we just always made sure that they had plenty of straw, especially when we were to get colder weather. They need a place to get out of the wind and weather. Water had to be replaced twice a day. You can just trade out water containers instead of trying to bang the ice out. You will want a container that lets the ducks put their heads in, deep enough to dip their nares into, but not open enough that they get their feet or bodies into it. Duck feet can freeze if they get wet. We have had a couple birds that lost their feet due to being sloppy with their water. It can kill them if this happens, so you try to prevent it as much as possible. However, we have had some survive this too, both chickens and ducks, and they did surprisingly very well.

Hopefully this helps.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D Here's some DIY plans, in case you want to rehab what they came with.

The floating one and the oasis are pretty neat.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D I grew up with ducks in Michigan. When snow started to fly and the water got ice on it, the ducks came out of their enclosure like you have, where their bathtub was, and went inside a large shed with windows. The back half of the shed had the chicken coop. We had probably over 30 chickens and 2 ducks. We were in the center part of LP north or Grand Rapids. Hope this helps.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

So exciting! Congrats :). I would love to have ducks. Their eggs are so delicious.

• Michelle D

@gardneto76 thank you for the info. I'm near Detroit. The city I'm in won't let me build a permanent structure for them. I get so frustrated with them. I really need to move!

@RustBeltCowgirl there are some ideas there that I might be able to get away with. Thanks! Whatever I build may have to wait until spring. I have so many projects as it is going on.

@LaurieLovesLearning if I'm understanding correctly it sounds like for now I can just create a barrier with straw around the outside of the current enclosure and keep a snow free area for them to run. Is that right?

This is what they currently have. The ramp is about as wide as one of their feet. It makes sense why they won't use it. The previous owner just kept the ramp up. That top part has always just been a waste of space.

Also, do you suggest keeping the water dish up off of the ground in the winter? Would that help with keeping feet dry?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2021

@Michelle D Thanks for the great pictures.

What you have is a small coop meant for chickens, perhaps 2 large hens or three bantams and is more a summer space than a winter one even then considering poop build up over winter and available walking space. Any more would be very squishy.

It is not built for ducks at all. A ramp for ducks should not be steep (and should be wide). The top part/box should ideally be very low to the ground, not even needing a ramp, and if using a ramp, so low that they don't have to trip over a ledge or if they fall off, they won't sprain anything. Ducks can easily sprain/break their legs when they might trip or fall from any height. Just like their necks, their legs are very delicate. Low is key. If you watch them, you will see that when they are let out, they will practically fall over one another in a rush to get through a door.

Considering the set up, I am assuming that the previous owner didn't know much at all about ducks. They are not afraid of heights (that was my first clue), but the ramp is just not something that they can use. They will never use that top part.

The ducks, at bare minimum should have at least double that space as a floor space, Triple would be better. It is very good that you have a run for them, considering. I would certainly do the bale fort idea to keep it snow free.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D They are beautiful! I would love to have ducks too someday! Please keep us posted!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about using some pallets as temporary walls? Pallets can be moved easily enough. You would be able to increase their floor space with minimal investment.

• Michelle D

@RustBeltCowgirl great idea! I have lots of pallets.

@LaurieLovesLearning the previous owner admitted that he didn't know what he was doing with the ducks. He just did what the guy who had them before him did 😬. I figured that out when I started asking questions about them and he said that I should consult the internet. He gave me the specifics of what they were used to as far as food and routine. That was about it.

I will make something temporary for this coming winter since I'm short on time and build them something great next year.

I have some basic chicken knowledge. I plan to take the duck course in the academy asap! Luckily, I have TGN so I'm sure I will get it all figured out soon.

@COWLOVINGIRL I had planned on getting chickens first. That didn't work out as planned. The ducks just kinda fell into my lap. So far I'm loving them. My husband keeps asking how long until I grow the flock. I said maybe in the spring. He laughed and said that he would be surprised it I could wait a month.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Michelle D, that's what is great about a simple bale shelter. Wheat/Oat straw is best. Maybe you can use it for mulching next spring too,

Well, you have a small coop for a few chickens, ready to go once the ducks have their own space. 😊

• Michelle D

@LaurieLovesLearning my thoughts exactly!