Evening Planting

I have been doing more gardening in the evening and night.

I have been finding that my plants like having the night to get acclimated before the 9A sun hits the next day.

I have also been trying to get seeds in the ground in a light rain. They seem to germinate well this way.

Has anyone else experimented with times to garden and plant?

Comments

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I want to do this as well. I also live in the 9a zone, but mosquitoes have been so bad I have to wait for the sun to go completely down and it to cool off so they will stop biting. I cannot work out there to late since I have to be up early the next morning for work. I am going to start preparing my soil and filling pots in the morning then as they grow transplant out in the evenings. This weekend we will be a chilly high in the 60’s (please no one hate me for the chilly statement). I will probably pick up some starts and get those in too. I am a little behind on getting my seeds in the ground.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to garden in the evening and night. I have actually turned on lights to shine on my garden area. My neighbors think I am crazy.

I also try to plant either if its a light mist or going to rain in an hour or so. I think the seeds germinate faster and better. Rain is so full of nutrients its much better than what you take from a home water source. I have a artsian well but a fresh rain is always better. (great reason for rain barrels)

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@monica197 I either plant my seedlings out in the late afternoon or on an overcast rainy day if I can. I also set up a shade cloth “shelter” to help for the first few days. Or put buckets or cloches over the young starts. It definitely gives them a head start.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful ideas. Thank you very much for sharing! I can use some of these ideas next year.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was funny - when I first started doing the night time thing, I found myself gardening really fast...like I had to hurry up - because I have been so used to 'finishing up before it got dark." I am settling down with that now though.

I have found a homemade EO repellent that I made a long time ago has been working with the mosquitoes @gardento76 - though I do have to say, they were pretty bad out there last night!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭

I tried evening but our mosquitos in TN are many as well.