What to Do With Green Cherry Tomatoes?

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to harvest the last 3-4 cups of green cherry tomatoes because the wind has damaged my remaining plant. I LOVE fried green tomatoes, but it seems like an unreasonable amount of work with marble sized fruits.

Will they ripen in the window like full sized ones?

What would you do with them?

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

That's not very much for making something, but maybe you could cut this recipe down to suit what you have. My mum used to make this all the time for mincemeat tarts, although this isn't her recipe. This one came from our VFD cookbook. I think this could be done in a food processor instead of a grinder.

2 lbs green tomatoes

2 lbs apples

1½ lbs raisins

2 lemons

2½ lbs sugar

1½ tsp salt

1 tbsp cinnamon

½ tsp cloves

½ tsp nutmeg

Grind tomatoes in food chopper and scald with 2 cups boiling water. Pour off and repeat. Grind raisins, core and grind apples and add all ingredients to tomatoes. Simmer 1 hour or until tender. Bottle. Makes 2 quarts. Process ½ pints 10 minutes, 1 pint 15 minutes.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Oooo, I'm in the same boat, except my plants are winding down due to early freezes! I'm totally curious to see what people say about this....

• Linda Bittle

@torey Thank you. I have never had mincemeat.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭

So I haven't grown cherry tomatoes in several years but here is what I used to do. One year when I lived in California on the high desert I brought the tomatoes inside; potted them and put them in a south window and since they were very tall they were pinned (with sewing pins) to the curtain in the window. It was a light weight muslin and let in a lot of light. One other way I used for years was I took them all off the vine and put them in those cardboard containers that I got peaches in. Another thing I have done is strip the tomatoes from the vine and let them ripen in a paper bag. I hope these suggestions are helpful.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

I think I would stick them on a window sill and let them try to ripen. If they fail to, maybe slice them up and pan fry them and add them to pasta?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

Pickle them! I LOVE pickled green tomatoes!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I also pickle them and they turn out great.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I let them ripen and use them that way.

When I last brought a tomato plant in, it came with lots of hatching insects (from the soil) midwinter. Considering, I have never repeated that again.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Being a northerner, I had heard of fried green tomatoes, but had never had any until a couple of years ago when I had some so I made myself some. Surprisingly good. I'm waiting for my tomato plants to start dying back before I decide to do with my green tomatoes this year.

• Linda Bittle

I'm digging around on the internet for more recipes. That green tomato rice looks good!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/recipes-using-green-tomatoes-3057091

https://www.ruralsprout.com/green-tomato-recipes/

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't eat green tomatoes, but they will usually ripen if left by a window where they can get sunlight. Some years I've had a kitchen counter full of green tomatoes harvested right before the first frost, and while we lost some, we were able to ripen and eat most of them.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can pull up the plant and hang it upside down to dry. Many or most of the fruits will ripen during the drying process.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Oooh, I've never heard of doing this! Super interesting idea -- thanks for sharing!

• Linda Bittle

Update: I had time to pick them, and they are in the kitchen window. Quite a few are getting ripe!

Will see how it goes until I have time on Sunday to do something with the remaining green ones.

Many thanks for all the ideas!