Drying or preserving horseradish

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

How do you dry or preserve horseradish (for later fire cider making)? Does anyone know? I thought that once you dig it up, that it immediately starts decaying & losing its fantastic properties. I read that freezing it in the freezer isn't the way to go either, but it does freeze here each winter, so maybe it is different in a freezer?

So...do you freeze dry it? Use a dehydrator? Is there another way?

It is cooling off here lots lately and I will be making fire cider shortly. I just wanted to know if I can dig up extra for use later. There is no way I'm getting it out of the frozen ground midwinter! 🥴

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I have kept horseradish in the fridge, similar to any other root veg. It does lose a tiny bit of the bite in storage but not as much as you might think. I didn't try it after several months. I only kept it for a couple of months till I was ready to make Fire Cider.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't tried growing horse radish yet. I would think that drying the horse radish should be a viable option since you can buy powdered horse radish and if you raise and process it yourself, it would be a lot fresher than store bought.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thanks for the feedback, @torey. When we went to dig some up, we were able to get enough to complete a 2 quart recipe (1/2 c.), but some of the root was rotten and most roots were very, very small coming out of the garden area! I don't know if it is because of grass competition or the dry year or what. There were new shoots, however.

I couldn't smell it as we dug it. Our youngest was close by so I got him to taste a tiny bit of root (he likes spicy/hot, I don't). So, it has some power. I don't know that it cleaned out my sinuses much either. I think I got more from the onions! Lol

I hadn't harvested any last year (I think this is now its 3rd or 4th year). I was hoping to let it get well established by the time I harvested any. Obviously that didn't work as I had hoped.

I'm not sure what I should do to make it larger. Weed around it? Water it? I also don't want it dying because of overwatering!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning You're lucky to have grown enough to make fire cider. My horseradish root surprisingly wasn't big enough. The plant was huge and the root that I planted two years ago was a nice size. Guess it went the way of my sweet potatoes which grew beautiful long vines that grew all over my back yard but only produced 2 small sweet potatoes!

I searched at farmer's markets, Asian & Hispanic markets, and Sprout's for horseradish root for weeks. I found some at a farmer's market that was the size of a turkey leg but I had to buy the entire piece so I kept searching. The guy at Sprout's said a lot of people were asking for it but they couldn't seem to get any in. A couple weeks later I found some normal size pieces at Kroger thankfully!! My fire cider is doing it's thing on my counter for a couple more weeks.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something I too want to grow. And I'm curious about how to handle it once it's produced a root I can harvest. Glad you asked about it @LaurieLovesLearning.😊

I looked for weeks at every store as well @kbmbillups1 until I found some. I have it now and need to make my fire cider. I'm hoping to have the chance tomorrow or Friday.🤞

• Torey

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina The best way to handle horseradish is to have someone else do it. 🤣 My husband is in charge of peeling and grating the root. After that process, I am able to come back into the kitchen with all the doors open. For horseradish sauce that we use on roasts, I take the grated horseradish and put it in a blender with vinegar, a bit of sugar and a pinch of salt. Blending it gets it more to the creamy consistency of store bought.

For Fire Cider, just the peeling and grating process is enough.

I wish I had more advice about growing horseradish. I have never had any issue. We have lots of it. Grows very well for us. We usually use 2-3 year old roots.

• kbmbillups1

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Hope you get a chance to make it soon. The "normal" size piece of root I finally found was still pretty big so I made two jars of fire cider. I like to use it in my salad dressing and I'm going to give some to my in laws.

@torey Thanks for telling us how you make horseradish sauce. I'm going to have to look for some more horseradish root to make some. My daughter and I love it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2021

I agree with the horseradish sauce tips. Is there any particular ratio you use @torey?

I didn't think I'd be commenting on sauce, but our youngest has expressed an interest as he likes all things hot.

• Torey

This is the recipe we have been using for quite awhile. The gentleman that we got this recipe from is in his 90's and he got it from his grandmother so its a very old recipe.

4 cups grated horseradish

2 Tbsp sugar

½ tsp pickling salt

3 cups cold vinegar

Dig, wash, peel and grate enough roots to make the 4 cups. Grate the horseradish using the finer side of a grater. This will still be too coarse but once it is well mixed with the other ingredients, puree in 1-2 cup amounts in the blender till of the desired consistency. Seal in sterile jars. No need to can. The horseradish will oxidize and lose a bit of its whiteness over the winter but will still be very tasty. 

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, thanks for the recipe @torey! My husband loves horseradish sauce and so does my father. I'd love to be able to make some to give them at Christmas in the near future.😊

• kbmbillups1

@torey Thanks for the recipe!!

• kbmbillups1
    edited October 2021

How do I delete this? Hit it twice by accident.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey Thanks so much. I avoid horseradish like crazy (except in fire cider...which we accidentally made full strength heat this time). 😳 Whoops.

The best recipes are super old time tested recipes. Those are my favorites. I am sure our youngest will be thrilled to have some.

I know a place in the city where there is a whole huge healthy patch growing. Somehow it avoided the commercial development all around it. Many people in the city have harvested from it from what I understand. The area used to have ukranian owned commercial gardens in the 60s. If we get in before the freeze, I will have to get some from there and try out your golden recipe.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

I've got a serious relationship with my blender! Ha, ha, see you do too.