Allelopathy

monica197
monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I absolutely LOVE my zinnia...

And I have really realized that they don't play well in my garden.

I have such a small space and the allelopathic quality they possess winds up really impacting things around them. I had them planted with some of my purple salvia and the salvia struggled all summer. I had one planted next to a pepper plant and the pepper really wanted to grow but I think the zinnia just was not a good growing neighbor.

I am going to have to rethink planting zinnia next year if I want more prolificness in my garden.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

I have never grown zinnias so I'm not the best person to comment but I have read that zinnias make good companion plants for tomatoes and cucumbers. They deter cucumber beetles and tomato horn worms.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

From ohgardening.com:

One of the widest applications of zinnia companion planting can be found in vegetable gardens. Many compact, dwarf, and giant zinnia varieties can be repurposed as companion plants with selected veggies.

Vegetable crops like tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflowers, beans, etc, benefit greatly when planted with zinnias. For instance, the zinnias can prevent beetle pests and worms from attacking crops like tomatoes.

Many zinnias are known to attract predatory wasps that prey on tobacco and tomato worms. They are also famous for attracting ladybugs that help to control aphids and whiteflies in gardens.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Thank you for sharing information about Zinnias. I received a package of Zinnia's from the library this year for one of the projects- making a paper flower. I will plant them next year. I have been wanting a cutting garden. I also didn't realize they have medicinal properties.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 Zinnias are perfect for a cutting garden. They holds up well.

I wasn't aware they had that many medicinal properties either.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

The flowers are also edible and make a fun, colorful garnish. I remove the seed from the petal before I use them.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@monica197 Never knew that about zinnias---thought they would get along with most flowers----guess when I plant will try with the veggies!

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just really surprises me because it is not what I have experienced this year. Last year I planted the zinnia and did not see an issue but this year was a different story. They reseeded themselves and Just noticed that everything around them did very poorly. When the plant was removed, things stared to grow well - my echinacea even began blooming.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

When we moved into a house here in the Willamette Valley we had a fair amount of echinacea. I loved the cone shaped flowers. I knew it had medicinal properties but didn't use any of that at all. Of course now I could kick myself for not taking the time to learn more about how to use it.

This Week's Leaders