Buttercup squash

Well, our daughter & son-in-law dug out 5' drifts and deep covered back roads to come trade our kids for buttercup squash today.

It will be quiet, but I have to do a an enormous amount of partially frozen squash. There us approximately 55 mostly full size ones taking up room on the tiny kitchen floor at this time. I am tempted to put it outside to fully freeze, then process some each day until the freezer is full. The temperature rises on Monday...

I know of some folks I would like to give some to, then the rest will go to pigs, cows & chickens. Of course, we will keep some for ourselves.

Have any of you dealt with whole frozen unprocessed buttercup squash before?

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve never had a whole one frozen before. I wonder if you could just pop the whole darn thing in the oven after sticking it with a knife a few times. Cool it, then peel it and scoop out the inside. A great problem to have I guess.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I left the squash inside to warm up. It appears that they were not fully frozen, but did have a touch, enough that one had a bit of blistering and others had very small pock marks.

It is supposed to get above freezing on Monday, so I needed to do some up.

Either way, they wouldn't be keeping long so that was my deciding factor.

Well, I did a bunch up yesterday and got half of what was left processed today. It was a super busy day, considering. Let me tell you, there were originally way more than 55! I now have about 26 left, and I won't be doing more until Monday, when I have a helper or two. Whew! I hope that I don't dream about squash tonight. 🥴

I don't think the animals will get any. We seem to have the room for now and if I give some away, that will give any space we might need.

@Megan Venturella Your suggestion could be interesting. You certainly would need to punch holes in them somehow before baking them whole!