Unique laurel forest. Impressions.
We are spending our gloomy autumn weeks in one of the Canary Islands - La Gomera and it is notorious for its endemic Laurel forest, covering about 4000 ha of the island. It is a spooky forest and the trees are up to 20 meters high all tangled and overgrown with moss and lichen. It is so unique that with encouragement from @torey I would like to share a few photos from inside.
it goes without saying that I collected a few pleasantly scented leaves which I use as spice, but, of course, it is also a very well known medicinal plant. @judsoncarroll4 wrote a lot about bay laurel and it’s use.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter