Unique laurel forest. Impressions.

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,349 admin
edited November 2021 in Wild Edibles & Medicinals

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/380/

We are spending our gloomy autumn weeks in one of the Canary Islands - La Gomera and it is notorious for its endemic Laurel forest, covering about 4000 ha of the island. It is a spooky forest and the trees are up to 20 meters high all tangled and overgrown with moss and lichen. It is so unique that with encouragement from @torey I would like to share a few photos from inside.

it goes without saying that I collected a few pleasantly scented leaves which I use as spice, but, of course, it is also a very well known medicinal plant. @judsoncarroll4 wrote a lot about bay laurel and it’s use.

Comments

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, i see this forest and can imagine the olfactory sense.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. An impulse buy got me my own bay laurel tree. I almost lost it when we had lower than average temperatures last winter (July for me). So I was happy to see a branch sprout from ground level.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,407 admin

Very cool! Thanks for posting these pics @jowitt.europe It does look kind of spooky. It had never occurred to me before to think about how laurels propagate. Didn't know they had "berries".

• jowitt.europe

@tave I always bring my two laurel trees into the winter garden. I think they would not survive our winters. But I never tried. Who knows.

• jowitt.europe

@torey they should start blossoming some time round December. Hopefully I see that. I’ve read that the scent of the blossoms is very pleasant.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,407 admin

@jowitt.europe How long are you on the islands for? Are you anywhere close to the volcano that is erupting? I saw some pretty spectacular pics on TV yesterday.

• jowitt.europe

@torey we are on another island - La Gomera. The volcano is on La Palma. This used to be our favourite island for this season, but not this year. The Islands are not far form one another and we are looking for a possibility to go to La Palma by a ferry to see the volcano eruption. I have also seen videos and it is so spectacular. Some think it is controversial as they say is a nature catastrophe and one should not go to watch it. I take it as a normal nature event. Volcanoes erupt on volcanic islands. And, with a good warning system there are no casualties. Many houses, of course, were swallowed by Lava. Hopefully the state and insurance companies help people to develop new homes. At least this is what they say they will do.