Get my sliver out

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
edited November 2021 in General Health

Well, here is a twist on the sliver under the fingernail problem. I got one this morning, a fairly large one, and pulled the main part out, but, there was a slight turn that it made in the nail & it looks as though some is stuck way inside where I can't reach it...or hopefully, it is just a bit of blood.

Now, I know there are things that can draw slivers out, but this one seems very inaccessible.

I trimmed the nail & put plantain salve at the entrance point, but I doubt that will do anything. I thought of soaking it, but am not sure if that will do anything. My concern is infection under the nail.

Does anybody have any suggestions or will I just have to leave it & hope for the best?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Owweee!

I'd try an Epsom salt soak. Then maybe a poultice made with powdered Epsom salts blended with enough glycerine or honey to make a stiff paste, to help draw it out. Epsom salts can be powdered in a blender or mortar and pestle if you don't have any powdered on hand. That is something I like to keep in my medicine chest. You can get powdered Epsom salts at any compounding pharmacy. A good one will even mix up the poultice for you.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited November 2021

@torey It is a dull ache right now, but I could just imagine the pain of an infection under there & I want to avoid.

I will try your suggestion. I can grind some epsom salts up myself. Glycerine sounds more slippery, but honey would help disinfect it. I have mineral oil, but no glycerine, so I guess I will try the honey.

Thanks!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks painful! What about some Mercurius Sol or Viv if you have it on hand or can get some at a health food store? My husband had an infected finger a couple months ago when he cut his nail too short. I don't know how it got infected but it did. Someone suggested that to me and it worked really well! I had to squeeze the puss out while he freaked out but that and the homeopathy worked great. In a few days his finger was back to normal.

Hope yours gets better soon.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking epsom salt too! What do you think about a poultice of ground flax and castor oil? @torey

• LaurieLovesLearning

@kbmbillups1 I don't have any but it's good to know that I may have other options if needed.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is "OUCH"!!! Please keep us posted as to what worked for you. Good Luck!!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@monica197 Flaxseed is a good drawing agent but I have never personally used it in a poultice before. If the Epsom salts don't work, it is worth a try. Have you used this before?

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning try an Epsom soak

• LaurieLovesLearning

An update...I tried both a soak & the Epsom salt & honey mix. Neither appears to have done anything. There is more blood in the entry hole as I tried to keep it a bit more open so that whatever was on my finger at the moment could get inside that space.

Since nothing really appeared to change, I've decided that for now, I will wait & watch.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I have used t with a cyst and it really helped. I used ground flax - not the seed. @torey

Have you tried the flax poultice @LaurieLovesLearning -i t sure wouldn't hurt if you happen to have some one the shelf.

• LaurieLovesLearning

No, I haven't. The pain has greatly decreased and nothing bad appears to be happening with this area, so I have decided to just watch & wait. I suspect that if it was going to get infected, it would have shown up by now. I am hoping that with it being right under the nail, that it will get pushed out as the nail grows.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning

How did you get silver under your nail?

Here is the way I would deal with this potential for infection, and for healing:

Colloidal silver, 1 tsp sublingual for 30 seconds, then swish around in your mouth for oral health yes then swallow. once daily.

Liposomal vitamin c, 1 tsp once a day between meal time. (I put in pineapple juice)

Vit: D3, E,

I put frankensense eo on my upper palet both sides, with my thumb, just the amount on my thumb by placeing it on the bottle opening and inverting it. That is enough. I learned this from Dr. Axe. He and his wife do this every day for overall health.

Also, eo of oregano I can't remember how many drops I use, around 5ish and into 1 tsp coconut oil for dilution, applied directly to the affected area. Also as you know, it's powerful anti abo, viral, fungus etc...

and I would also make a poltuice of cabbage leaves and apply to affected hand and wrap with warm towel and cover with plastic to hold the heat longer.

If you want info re where I get the silver, liposomal c, let me know.

What ever you do, watch closely for any redness that might start moving into your hand and arm. As soon as you notice anything like that (hopefully not), do the cabbage poltice to cover all of the newly reddened hand. Do not let it get higher than your elbow...this can result in sepsis as you prolly already know.

Keep us updated esp if you need any help researching for you re this.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@silvertipgrizz That's a fair question. I was washing a rough, stained wooden frame of a large rustic mirror (the glass was originally from an rv's closet or something...a cool project someone had done & that I was given 😄). It's an attractive mirror. I was aware that I should be careful when cleaning the glass itself as I suspected that it would gift me with a sliver one day. Well, the day finally arrived when I got a bit careless with one swipe. I am usually more careful by the frame.

This is what it looks like now and it no longer hurts. I think it will come out as the nail grows.

I have been watching for anything abnormal and what you have mentioned was certainly a concern initially. I will still continue to watch, although I think that danger has now passed.

I learned a lot from what you posted. It will be good to keep it handy. I do like Dr. Axe too, he has a lot of solid information.

Thank you!

• silvertipgrizz

@LaurieLovesLearning

the place's I get my stuff I mentioned..ie colloidal silver, liposomal vit c...is from 2 sources:

healthrangerstore.com

Dr. Mercola

For any interested and unaware of why liposomal vit c is the best way to go is because it goes straight to the small intestines and so more of it is absorbed. After I started taking c and silver, and from Mercola the zinc/selenium I felt so much better..because during the course of this horrible summer..for me...I was not eating much and supplementing was better than nothing. My next course of action is to find the best tools for making my own colloidal silver. There are some vid's that show one family making their own. I will post them later today.

I hope you know I did not mean to be nosey, but remember a little over a year ago when my second recluse bite would up spreading from my wrist to above my elbow...I starte acting like the nurse I was instead of a bystander because quite frankly it really scared me. Also remember how many times I have mentioned what Marjory talked about re her snake bite, and the first thing she mentioned was that there were no more cabbages in her garden so she couldn't use that application....imagine that being potent enough for a nasty poisonous snake bite...That's why I suggested the cabbage poultice.....the systemic infection was stopped in its tracks in less than 2 days but the pain, swelling, and the reddnes was reduced to about 10 percent in the first 12 hours of application. I can't recommend it enough..at the very first sign of hot and red moving toward the heart...

• silvertipgrizz

@LaurieLovesLearning

Also, you might consider applying an activated charcoal poultice, or a bentonite clay poltice or both but alternately just to see if that speeds up healing.

Here is a book I bought and a good website as well.

https://charcoalremedies.com/