Thanksgiving Recipes (Traditional American)

Please post your favorite must have traditional American Thanksgiving food recipes below!

If you have a twist on an old favorite, please feel free to post that too!

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have lots of favorites. My family doesn't really do things the traditional way, but out of the traditional dishes the favorite that stands out right now is corn casserole, also called cornbread casserole or corn cake. There are arguments over what to call it around here every year. This year I'm putting a new twist on it. For the first time, I will be making it with jalapeños and maybe cheddar. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

@Michelle D When you have time, could you post the recipe along with your variation? This is not a dish that I am familiar with.

Thanks!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning corn casserole is one of those simple "dump and bake" recipes. All the ingredients go in the bowl together, give it a quick stir until everything is moist, pour it into a greased pan or casserole dish, and bake. The size dish depends on how you want the consistency. My immediate family likes it thick and soft so I use a smaller pan when it's just us. Most of the people I'm cooking for today prefer it thinner and crispy on the edges so I will use a larger pan. Thinner bakes in about 30 minutes. Thicker is closer to an hour. I bake it at 350°F/175°C. Here is the list of ingredients:

1/4 pound butter

1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn

1 (8.5 ounce) package cornbread mix

1 ounce sour cream

Some people that I know add an egg to give it more of a cake consistency. I haven't made it that way, but I have tried it and it is great.

This year half of the people eating at my house absolutely love jalapeños. They are really good in cornbread, so I'm going to try them in the corn casserole this year. I will let you know how that goes.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

This is something that I make for our Thanksgiving here in Canada, thanks to Martha Stewart. It has become a huge favourite in my family. Sometimes I make it for Christmas. You only need a very small piece.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭

Practically everything I make has a small (and sometimes rather large) twist. I made a cranberry sauce and brought some to a friend not knowing he didn't like cranberries. He tried it to be nice and ended up loving it and requesting more. So figure it's share worthy:

1 bag fresh or frozen figs

1 cup red sangria (I use one sweetened only with fruit, no sugar)

6 ounces dried figs chopped

a strip orange zest (optional)

Bring sangria and figs to boil. Remove from heat and let steep about 30 minutes. Strain figs, reserve liquid. Set figs aside. Return liquid to saucepan add cranberries and zest if using. Simmer until cranberries burst and mixture has slightly thickened 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, discard zest, stir in figs.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

annbeck62 Have a question on your recipe... Is the first ingredient supposed to be 1 bag fresh or frozen cranberries instead of figs?

I tried something new this year for our turkey. Thanks to some folks on the Indri Vanilla group I belong to. I place a half an apple, half an onion and two whole vanilla beans inside the turkey while it cooked. Not really a noticeable flavor difference, but seems to enhance the flavor of the turkey somehow. Was supposed to include a half an orange as well. But the oranges I had here had gotten a bit old and had no flavor at all.

Turkey was incredibly moist and dripping made a fantastic gravy.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    1. One pound organic green beans, cut in thirds and a half pound organic peeled carrots, cut in rounds. Steam together for twenty minutes.
    2. One bottle of Rosé from Cape Town So. Africa and one bottle of Riesling from Germany.
    3. Organic Bread and Butter pickles.
  • kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to make Cornbread Casserole AKA Cornbread Pudding for my father in law every Thanksgiving. Here's my recipe:

2 Jiffy Cornbread mixes or I use I Cup organic corn flour, 1 Cup Einkorn flour, 2/3 Cup organic sugar, 1 tbls. baking powder

2 cans whole corn drained

2 cans creamed corn

1 stick melted butter

1 8 oz container sour cream

2 eggs

milk or water as needed to make it cornbread batter constancy

Bake at 350 degrees until the middle is done. If it's a little jiggly that's fine because that's where the pudding in title comes from.

I also have to make Cranberry Sauce every year

1 bag washed organic cranberries

1 organic orange peeled and segments but into pieces

2/3 cup organic sugar or to taste

1 Cup water

Mix together and cook on medium heat until the cranberries start to pop then smash them with the back of a wooden spoon to make sure they all pop. Once it becomes thick it's done.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walnut Pumpkin Roll

10-12 servings

3 eggs

1 C cake flour

1 C walnuts

1 C granulated sugar

1 t baking soda

Powdered sugar

2/3 C pumpkin, pureed

2 t cinnamon

Cream Cheese Filling (below)

Heat oven to 375.

Line 15½ x 10½ x 1 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and grease generously.

Beat eggs in lg bowl on high 5 min until very thick and lemon colored.

Gradually beat in sugar and pumpkin.  Then gradually add flour, baking soda, and cinnamon, beating until batter is smooth.  Pour evenly into pan.

Sprinkle with walnuts.

Bake 10-15 min or until toothpick comes out clean.  Immediately loosen from edges of pan, invert onto towel that is generously sprinkled with powdered sugar, and remove foil.

While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end.  Cool on wire rack.

Unroll and spread with Cream Cheese Filling.

Roll up, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 2 hr.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Refrigerate any remaining cake.

Cream Cheese Filling

1½ C powdered sugar

8 oz cream cheese, softened

¾ t vanilla

¼ C butter, softened

Beat together on med until smooth.

• monica197

I have always liked sausage in stuffing as well as a heavy dose of fruit.

Stuffing

12 servings

1 loaf bread/raisin bread

4 C chopped vegetables

2 C or less liquid (3 eggs, butter, chicken broth)

4 C or less fruit and nuts

1 C fresh parsley, sage, thyme

1 lb meat (sausage, etc)

3 T seasoning

Leave bread out overnight.  Cube.

Sauté meat until cooked through.  Remove with slotted spoon.

Sauté vegetables in rendered fat (or butter or oil).

Combine meat, vegetables, fruit/nuts, and bread.  Toss.

Add liquid.  Adjust seasoning.

Toss only until combined.

Bake in a covered casserole dish at 350 for 30-40 min.

(Cooking the turkey with stuffing inside is not suggested due to health reasons that could arise due to improper heating and cooking through.)

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@monica197 Your Walnut Pumpkin Roll sounds really good. I saved the recipe to try it with Einkron flour.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin
    edited November 2021

Exactly what I was thinking...I only wish that I had einkorn though, and you'll know how much squash (and I have pumpkin too) that I've got put away.

@judsoncarroll4 That's one more pumpkin recipe to add to your arsenal. 😋

• vickeym

monica197 Your pumpkin roll does indeed sound amazing. I need to try and find or order some Einkorn. Our local grocer does not carry it and have never seen it at the two grocers in the next town.

• monica197

@vickeym have you ever ordered einkorn from these guys:

I have not but have hung onto their info as it was passed to me as a small family run US based business

• vickeym

monica197 Had never heard of this company. Will look into them and the shipping costs to Alaska. Thank you for sharing.