The best tomato relish I’ve made

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited November 2021 in General Recipes

A couple of weeks ago, I was given 2kgs of Roma tomatoes and decided we needed some tomato relish. I’ve made it tons of times before and been happy enough with the result but nothing memorable. This time I think I nailed it and happy to share. I believe the key was roasting the tomatoes first.

2kg toms halved and tossed in 1/4 cup olive oil, 6 large cloves garlic, tablespoon of sumac, paprika, teaspoon cayenne pepper, curry powder and salt and pepper. Bake for 1hr @ 180 deg C. While that’s baking, caramelise 3 onions with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and olive oil + tablespoon mustard seeds and 1/2 cup ACV. I also added 3 tablespoons pickled ginger. I always put a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce too.

When the toms were roasted and cooled, I blitzed them in the blender and added them to the onion mixture. It made 7 or 8 jars. I’ve given a couple away and we’ve gone through 2 already. I’ll make some more when my tomatoes are ready to go.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

That's a really good idea to roast the tomatoes first.

I have never used sumac but am going to purchase some to try. We have sumac bushes here (volunteers, not native) but what I have read about the processing to get sumac powder is a bit daunting. I'll try the store bought first to see if I think it is worth it to harvest.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey I discovered sumac a few years ago and now I’m a real fan. Find myself adding a teaspoon to onions when frying a lot of the time. The 1st time I knew about it was at a country cafe for breakfast and tomatoes were served with the bacon and eggs. The tomatoes were so good that I just had to ask how they did them. They made a mix of salt, pepper, brown sugar, olive oil and sumac, like a paste, I guess. Then 1/2 the tomatoes and put the tomatoes face down in the mix and bake trays at a time. I guess I tried a different take on that with my relish, come to think of it! Good sprinkled on fish on the BBQ & great with rice & chick peas.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I've never made tomato relish before but your recipe seems rather simple and I love how it can take something as simple as rice and chick peas and turn it into a flavorful meal. Thanks for sharing.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never tried a tomato relish. Will have to look into sumac as well. This sounds quiet interesting.