Smallpox coming back? Sarracenia purpurea to the rescue!

2»

Comments

• tinarock
    tinarock Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

And regarding Bill Gates, he did recently say words to the effect of "what if there was a smallpox attack at, say, 10 airports all at the same time?"

Once I saw that in the news, I acquired much chaga tea and I drink it every day. I was drinking mushroom tea daily anyway, simply made a switch from Reishi to chaga.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,517 admin

@LorettaLiefveld My comment on what they were/are working on here in Canada is a verified real project, and there are still vials, obviously...so the concern has some merit.

Personally, I don't encourage hype, because that often leads to impulsive and foolish actions. We can't live by emotional sway. I'd rather encourage awareness & careful consideration of information as presented and then check it by a few other knowledgeable sources. If we are discussing herbs, that would mean checking information by way of highly respected, registered herbalists.

These past two years have been something that only 3 or 4 years ago, a most people would have thought would only have lived in conspiracy theory land, yet, here we are living it...and there is no doubt that it's absolutely crazy. 🤷‍♀️

Now whether the pox actually comes back or not or comes back by way of another form, there is no way to confirm nor deny it will do either...but it is still interesting to know what worked and what didn’t in times past and it never hurts to have knowledge. Maybe we will discover other uses for that plant or want to become familiar with it otherwise, just having been introduced to it. Maybe we will discover a new to us plant in our backyard & gain a new respect for it. So, it's not all bad to explore this subject.

I, for one, like the idea of growing a pitcher plant and one that has a unique place in history. It is interesting that chaga would have been effective. Chaga is good for quite a few things. Thanks @tinarock.

We do discuss historic knowledge as well as current info where medicinal plants are concerned on TGN. We all can learn together and continue to do so.

That brings me to the aspect of respect of members within our discussions, and its something I as head mod need to mention on occasion. Sending out these occasional reminders & having members remain respectful has kept our forum an enjoyable place to spend our time and has helped it grow.

Thinking about choice of words & tone is important to consider and highly encouraged on the forum. Not everyone will have the same opinion nor reactions to information, as you have discovered. I would like to encourage you, and other members, (old & new) to keep this in mind.

So, after all of that, I would like to invite you to leave a short intro in the Introductions section (link found below). Networking is a great thing, and hopefully you can find someone here that is in your area!

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

Also, if you ever need to review our Rules & FAQ, you will find a lot of helpful posts there.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Interesting topic. One of my sons has suggested he would like to get me a pitcher plant just because he finds them fascinating. For an unendangered plant to use for a remedy, I would probably like to use Yarrow. Tansy is also abundant around here, but I would hesitate to take it internally. Ginger is a given for any time I'm coming down with anything, even a bit of indigestion.

• elwell2
    elwell2 Posts: 13

I heard about this today on an interview with Dr Zelenko. Thank you for the information on places to find this plant

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,517 admin

Here is another plant that was historically used for smallpox. It has a myriad of other benefits.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,635 admin

Thanks for posting this, @LaurieLovesLearning. This is a plant that is not generally discussed in most herbal medicine classes. You have connected the dots for me.

We have 4 Lithospermum species in BC; 3 natives and 1 introduced. One that is very common in my area is L. ruderale, but I know it as Lemonweed (aka Western Stoneseed). Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew it was a Lithospermum and I do have a bit of info on this genus in my personal Materia Medica but I hadn't done a deeper dive into it. When people have asked me about it on walks, I have identified it as Lemonweed for them and said that it does have medicinal uses but that I can't remember what they are. And of course, I always forgot to look it up after the walk. Now I'll be able to elaborate. Yay!

So many uses! It must be quite effective for kidney stones having acquired Stoneseed as one of its common names. I have added this to the list of roots to harvest this fall.

Over 50 species in this genus with a worldwide distribution so everyone should be able to find a species close to their area.

I have checked with several sources and they indicate that all four species here in BC can be used similarly. This is a good choice of a plant species to use, that isn't endangered or difficult to find.