Time to share those leftover turkey recipes!
After picking the carcass clean, I broke it in half at the back and put it int he stock pot with the neck and gizzards. The boiled down into 3 gallons of good stock. For a small pot of soup, I used a half gallon turkey stock and boiled scraps of meat with drippings from roasting pan that were to plentiful to use all in gravy - onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper, sage, oregano, turmeric and a little left over tomato sauce. Excellent soup with some egg noodles!
Basically did the same then added that to a roux of flour and butter, added some milk and made a thick cream of turkey soup. That went into more veggies and meat scraps in a baking dish. Crumbled homemade biscuits over it with grated cheddar for a turkey casserole.
I think I'll bread and fry the liver today with some onions and potatoes and serve with hot sauce.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter